Re: The Real Deal

From: Gregory Hurst <

> The people in the S.E.C. think Mercer is the real deal and a
> clutch player.  I like Duncan.  However, I would not be upset to land>
Mercer.  If you have the NCAA FINALS (Kentucky vs. Syracuse) of 1996, view
it and> answer this question.  Who would you draft Walker or Mercer?
Theory says> that one has to have a big man in the middle to win, I know
but, Mercer> is the TRUTH!!!!!   The third pick could be a blessing in
disguise..  The> sixth pick could be crucial.  If we don`t land Van Horn at
#6,  I say> draft Daniels at the #6 pick and have a three future all stars
on the> same team.

Gregory after thinking about it I agree.  We should not make any move of
these draft picks.  Duncan or any other single player will not bring us to
the promised land,  ask Patrick Ewing or David Robinson.  We need to build
a nucleus over the next 2-4 years.  Walker, Mercer,  Daniels, Thomas  or
Billups & maybe a Pollard, O'Bannon or Alvin Williams in the second round
will be a great start.  Then go get a Rasheed Wallace or Vin Baker in a
year or two and we are on our way.  Duncan would have been nice, but I am
satisfied with Battie or Mercer and I think we could be very happy with
Antonio Daniels also.  Lets don't move everything for one player and put
him with a bunch of inconsistent outside shooters only to get battered
inside. We need to build both an inside & outside game as all the great
teams have.