Forget Duncan

It is really too bad that the Celtics lost out on Tim Duncan.  And, he
ends up going to a team that doesn't even need him, and that would never
have even been in the lottery if their own star center wasn't out with an
injury.  If Robinson is back and healthy, the Spurs could end up in the
finals next year.

As for mention of a possible trade with the Spurs to get the number one,
QUIT DREAMING!  Much as I hate to admit it, there is no way that the
Celtics could match the offers of other teams.  The only tradeable assets
that the Celtics have are Antoine Walker and their two draft picks.  Even
if San Antonio were incined to make that trade, the Sixers or some other
team could easily make a better offer.

So, who should the Celtics grab with their two picks?  I have no idea, as
I haven't really thought beyond Duncan.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu

P.S. Someone mentioned that the Celtics had a better chance of getting the
number one pick than the Bruins - not true.  The C's had a 35% chance of
getting the number one, and they could have ended up with the fifth pick.
The Bruins had a 46% chance of landing the number one, and were guaranteed
at least the #2 pick.