I am trying to keep this group up to date on this lottery type thing.

http://www.boston.com:80/globe/spt/cgi-bin/retrieve.cgi?%2Fglobe%2Fbgc%2F138%2Fspt%2F010

Luck of the draw: Worst-case
               scenarios can play out - just ask
               Dallas

               By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 05/18/97

               If this were a tale of fairness, the Celtics would pick
first
               in next month's college draft. It would be the fitting
               punctuation for their skittish season. We saw them
               traipse across North America's mountains and plains, 12
               tourists who almost always browsed a defeat before
               inevitably putting it in their pockets.

               That happened 67 times last season. It was sad.
               Realizing this, a fair basketball judge would simply
               examine the evidence and cancel this afternoon's lottery
               selection show in Secaucus, N.J. Someone would phone
               Tim Duncan and the 6-foot-11-inch center would soon
               be doing his low-post dance with green-and-white wares
               on his back and parquet beneath his feet.

               See how smoothly things work in a fair world? Problem
               is, the Celtics are not part of one. Maybe they do
               deserve the top pick. But they will send M.L. Carr to
               New Jersey this afternoon, knowing there is only a 36
               percent chance that their former coach and director of
               basketball operations will bring home No. 1. Of course,
               those odds are better than anyone else's. But they are
still
               less than a coin flip.

               Carr said he will not take anything to Jersey to help
               increase his team's chances. He will not bring any red
               clay from his native state, North Carolina. No rabbits'
               feet. No cowrie shells, lucky stones, or necklaces.

               ``Can you bring a Bible?'' he said.

               Sure. No rule against it. Nor the Torah. Nor Koran.

               ``Really, I'm just going to go down there and see what
               happens,'' said Carr. ``I didn't take anything last year
and
               things worked out, didn't they? It's not like I can put
my
               hand in the hopper and pull out our ball.''

               No, that job belongs to Ernst &Youngaccounting
               executives. The team representatives only watch.

               If this were a tale of fairness...

               ``It's crazy,'' Pat Williams said. ``Your whole future
               depends on a bunch of balls rattling around in a machine.

               Isn't that crazy?''

               Williams is an expert on this subject. He is senior
               executive vice president of the Orlando Magic. He has
               been a part of three lotteries - 1986 (with the 76ers),
               1992, and 1993. He has walked away with three No.
               1s. Only once did his team need the top pick.

               In '86, Williams and Red Auerbach sat together, waiting
               to see which Eastern Conference power would have the
               top card. Where was fairness? The Celtics had won the
               NBA title and the Sixers had 54 wins.

               ``Red was blowing smoke in my face and I was about
               ready to surrender then,'' Williams said. ``He was
playing
               mind games with me all day. The air was so polluted with
               cigar smoke that I tried to take a deep breath and
               chipped my tooth. I was going to tell him he could have
               the top pick if it meant he would stop blowing smoke in
               my face.''

               Williams' Sixers won the lottery. They eventually traded
               the pick to Cleveland, which drafted Brad Daugherty.
               The Celtics, at No. 2, selected Len Bias. Williams still
               calls his team's deal ``infamous'' and says the overall
'86
               draft was ``haunted.''

               Six years later, Williams had moved south and was
               representing the three-year-old Magic. They had won 21
               games and were the second-worst team in the league.

               ``Our players did their jobs,'' Williams recalled. ``They

               played bad.''

               On Lottery Day, Williams was the only representative
               who didn't have a Shaquille O'Neal jersey stuffed inside
               a bag. He believed he would be lucky if he arrived with
               nothing. He was.

               The Magic's ball and the Mavericks' ball seemed to
               come out of the bin simultaneously. But the Magic's freed

               itself from the jam and slipped ahead of the Mavericks'.
               Dallas's ball was thrown back into the bin. Orlando won
               the lottery; the Mavericks were fourth.

               ``You should have seen how happy David Stern was for
               me when we won in '92,'' Williams said. ``He embraced
               me. He said, `Pat, I'm so happy for your franchise.
               You're an expansion team on the way up.' It seems like I
               flew home without a plane that day.''

               Dallas in blunder land

               Do not be fooled by the glimmers in Williams's story.
               Need we remind you of the Lottery Theme?

               Certainly, it was fair that O'Neal went to Orlando and
               made basketball in central Florida fun to watch. The
               21-win team became a 41-win team. O'Neal was
               Rookie of the Year. Orlando went from the lottery to the
               doorstep of the playoffs, losing on tie-breakers to the
               Pacers.

               Things didn't go so well in Texas. The Mavericks began
               the season 2-27 and fired their coach, Richie Adubato.
               When the story of his imminent firing broke, the
               Mavericks were on their way to Detroit from Dallas. A
               reporter told Adubato that he was certain the coach
               would soon be jobless.

               ``No. They wouldn't let me go to Detroit if they were
               going to fire me, would they?'' the coach said.

               ``You wouldn't think so,'' the reporter replied.

               Adubato and the team went off to wintry Detroit. The
               coach lounged in his hotel before getting on the team bus

               to the Palace at Auburn Hills. It was 4:45 p.m., a couple

               of hours before game time. The phone rang. Yep. He
               had been fired. He went to the game anyway and sat in
               the stands and watched as interim coach Gar Heard and
               the Mavs lost to the Pistons.

               That team still didn't have its lottery pick, Jim
Jackson.

               ``We were just trying to get Jim a fair deal,'' said Mark

               Termini, Jackson's agent.

               What Termini would not say is that the Mavericks
               historically set the market for their draft picks. They
               didn't like paying big money. They wanted to give
               Jackson a short deal with relatively short money. Jackson

               wanted six years and $19 million. Despite a record that
               had grown to 4-47, the Mavericks didn't budge.

               Finally, in March, they gave Jackson what he had asked
               for during the summer. The Mavericks finished 11-71,
               30 games behind the Magic. Those who were reporting
               the Mavericks' facts constantly asked themselves if they
               were involuntarily penning fiction.

               ``They were the worst team I've ever seen,'' said David
               Moore of the Dallas Morning News. ``The '96-97
               Celtics would have destroyed them.''

               ``If I ever write a book about them, people will think I
               made the stuff up,'' said Roger B. Brown of the Fort
               Worth Star-Telegram. ``Eighty games into the season,
               they had only nine wins.''

               The Magic and Mavericks qualified for the '93 lottery. If

               this were a tale of fairness the Mavericks would have the

               No. 1 pick. O'Neal had a supporting cast of Nick
               Anderson and Dennis Scott. Jackson had Walter Bond
               and Doug Smith.

               ``Before the lottery, we had been bringing in the Bobby
               Hurleys of the world for workouts,'' Williams said.

               The Magic were thinking of picking 10th or 11th. The
               Mavericks were thinking Nos. 1 and 2. That would
               either be Chris Webber or Anfernee Hardaway, they
               thought. No problem.

               ``You should have heard the room when the card for the
               No. 11 pick was lifted up,'' Williams said. ``When
               people saw that the card did not say `Orlando Magic,'
               there was stone silence. People knew a miracle was in
               the works.

               ``It came down to 10. Then 9. Then 8 ... Still no Orlando

               Magic. Finally it got to No. 1 and, honestly, for five
               seconds I had no idea what was happening. I don't
               remember what I was thinking. I went to the podium and
               the commissioner did not embrace me. I tried to hug
               David and it was like I had touched a mannequin. I could
               see the Orlando Rule churning in his head at that
               moment.''

               The Orlando Rule was an attempt to bring fairness into
               an imperfect world. Instead of a random lottery, a
               weighted system was put in place. Teams at the back
               end of the lottery, the 38- to 42-win types, have less
than
               a 1 percent chance of winning.

               Maybe that will help the Celtics today. It did not help
the
               Mavericks in '93. They took Jamal Mashburn with their
               second consecutive No. 4 pick. Hardaway went to the
               Magic. Later in the season, Hardaway would throw
               beautiful no-look passes to O'Neal while Mashburn
               threw verbal Molotov cocktails at new coach Quinn
               Buckner.

               Fairness was not in the house. If it had been, there
could
               have been a Hardaway-Jackson backcourt rather than
               what would soon become The 3-J Problem of Jackson,
               Mashburn, and Jason Kidd on the same team.

               Today, the Celtics will try a tag-team attack on the
               lottery system. They have their own pick and Dallas's.
               There have been 12 lotteries. Only three times has the
               worst team won it.

               The Celtics understand that life is not always fair.
They're
               not asking for that. They are only asking life to be fair
for
               a few minutes this afternoon in a New Jersey studio.

               This story ran on page d1 of the Boston Globe on
05/18/97.
               © Copyright 1997 Globe Newspaper Company.