Re: lottery thoughts

I think this is a relatively weak top 10 draft (after Duncan the lottery is
filled with potential "superstars" but thats about it) and we have 2 picks.
After the top couple of picks, it seems to me that there could be a lot of
solid players that may never be the first or second option on a good NBA
team, but could contribute (say a Rick Fox caliber player). Obviously,
Duncan is the big prize. If we do get the #1 pick, I'm all for trading #6
if it can work out for us. If we don't get the #1, to me it changes a lot.

Hey, I could be wrong but in a few years compare Walker to this years 2-6
picks  and see.

We have that rare thing your talking about in our first pick, the second
gives us a lot of flexibility. Whether we use or trade it (or the player we
pick with it).

Just an example, if Wesley leaves or Pitino decides not to re-sign him, do
you want to take one of the 4 PG's rated to go between 12-24 with the #6.
If not fine, we could sign a FA, except who would sign for 1.5 million that
we would want (I think that's roughly the amount of $ we would have if we
don't re-sign wesley and don't trade anyone). In that case I would rather
trade down to Billups or whoever at the same time trying to free up some
space in the possibility of signing a Vin Baker down the road (one big note
here, we're not the only team trying to get under the cap for 98 and it
will probably be tougher than normal to move big money players).

On another topic if Dallas gets the #9 in the draft lottery we can't get
the #1.  If they get 7 or 8 we won't know until the top 3. Assuming things
go normal up to the top 3, then we won't know until #3 if Vancouver,
Celtics, and Philly are left, or until #2 if the same three are left and
Vancouver gets the #3. (I probably didn't make anything much clearer).

Waiting for Sunday
- -Ken

At 7:40 AM -0400 5/16/97, JOzersky@aol.com wrote:
>This taylor thing suggests to me that Patino is at least thinking about
>trading down with the second pick to unload dead wood.  I think this is a
>mistake.   A good lottery position is the rarest thing in the game, and
>usually only obtainable after profound misery, and sometimes not even then
>(as two years ago).  You take good players with it.  Guys can always be
>traded for next to nothing, or even bought out if it comes to that.  And in
>one or two years their contracts expire anyway.   Wasting a lottery pick just
>for the sake of unloading somebody, even if you get a pick back, is a
>mistake.  I hope Patino has his eyes on a veteran.
>
>here's a question:  they do the team cards in reverse order, right?  So if
>the third pick comes up, and its not vancouver or boston, we're set.  What if
>the fourth card comes up and its not V or B?  Or what if Dallas isn't six?
> When will we first know?
>
>Josh (2 days)

k k @ h a r v a r d . e d u
U I S / H a r v a r d   U n i v e r s i t y