The lottery

I've seen a few questions regarding the lottery, so I thought I'd throw this
in.  As a Minnesotan I am all too familiar with the way the lottery
operates, so here goes...

Paraphrased from NBA.com
                           LOTTERY TEAMS AND THEIR CHANCES
TEAMS                           SEASON RECORD                   % FOR #1 PICK
Vancouver Grizzlies*            14-68                                    0.0%
Boston Celtics                  15-67                                   27.5%
San Antonio Spurs               20-62                                   21.6%
Denver Nuggets                  21-61                                   16.5%
Philadelphia 76ers              22-60                                   12.2%
Boston Celtics (from Dallas)    24-58 (Dallas' season record)            8.8%
New Jersey Nets                 26-56                                    6.1%
Golden State Warriors           30-52                                    3.3%
Toronto Raptors*                30-52                                    0.0%
Milwaukee Bucks                 33-49                                    1.5%
Sacramento Kings                34-48                                    1.0%
Indiana Pacers                  39-43                                    0.8%
Cleveland Cavaliers             42-40                                    0.7%

* As recent expansion teams, Vancouver and Toronto cannot pick first in the
NBA Draft in 1997. The Grizzlies have a 46% chance of landing the No. 2 pick
overall; the Raptors have a 4.2% chance of picking second.

As stated by others on this list previously.  The top 3 positions are drawn
while positions 4-13 are determined by going in reverse order of finish for
the remaining teams.  The worst case scenario for each pick is:  Dallas pick
#9, Boston #5 (this would mean that 3 teams from below Dallas' pick end up
in top 3).  This scenario is nearly impossible, but you never know  (see
Penny Hardaway).  It is most likely that the percentages will play out
pretty close to form.

As Jeff Tepper posted earlier, just walk through the lottery to determine
who has jumped into the top 3.  If Cleveland is not the #13 pick, they are
in the top 3.  If the Pacers do not show up by the #12 pick, then they have
moved into the top 3, etc.

**** For lottery watchers on Sunday, just keep this in mind:  If the Dallas
pick does not reveal itself between picks 6-9, it is a top 3 pick.  Boston's
pick could be anywhere from 1-5, but if we get down to a situation where
Vancouver (or Toronto) and Boston are the only two teams left - we've got
the number one (Vancouver and Toronto are exempt from the #1).

Everyone keep those fingers crossed this weekend!  Its time the leprechaun
performs some of that old Celtic magic.

My $.02

Brian
Celts fan in Minneapolis

 BRIAN LEE                          Email: leexx179@gold.tc.umn.edu
 Access Financial
 400 South Highway 169              Phone: (612) 542-6596
 St. Louis Park, MN 55426

"Its the lure of the Boston Celtics.  Its magical."
	- Rick Pitino