Re: Free Agents

At 05:03 PM 5/10/97 -0700, JLyell wrote:

>Voshon Lenard - the big scoring 2 we need.  This guy can shoot and is still
>very young. He shot about 40% on 3's this year.

Bound to be a hot commodity for many teams. With the inflated salaries given
to players these days, Lenard could well land a $3-5M contract from some
team. Can the Celts afford to get into a bidding war with this guy (or
anyone?). Also remember that Lenard is a big Riley fan, and Miami can give
him any dollar amount he desires regardless of the cap.

>Walt Williams - versatile 6'8" swing man, has not lived up to his draft
>position, but could be a good role player, and has good size.

Will have a better summer than last summer. I've always liked Walt, myself.
Reminds me of Dennis Scott with ball handling skills.

>Bryon Russell - This guy doesn't get any press but would be an excellent
>replacement for Rick fox at the 3 position. He is very effective from
>inside & out.
>
>Isaac Austin - Good physical force inside as a backup to Duncan or Battie ?

I could be wrong, but according to my free agent list, neither of these guys
are free this year. I know that Austin signed a 2 year contract, so it'll be
another year before he's a FA. I'm not 100% sure about Russell, though.

>Cliff Robinson, versatile player but attitude is a risk, and could end up
>underperforming like Robert Horry.  Probably will want big money & may not
>be worth it.

Some team will throw megabucks at him. With Carlesimo now fired, he may want
to stay put in Portland. However, if he's looking for that $7M per year deal
he's been talking about (possibly higher), he'll have to choose Phoenix,
Cleveland, Tornoto or Vancouver.

>Free agents to stay away from:
>
>Nick Anderson

Probably stuck in Orlando.

>Greg Anthony

If Charlotte looses out on Wesley, I see them making a run at him.

>Robert Horry

Remember when the talk was that he would be a perinial All-Star? Ha! He's
only a valuable player when he has a great center playing alongside him (see
Hakeem, $haq).

>Dennis Rodman

Happy retirement, wierdo!

>Malik Sealy

Would be wise to stay in Clipperland.

>The Wilkins Bros.

I doubt 'Nique would return to Boston anyway. Gerald probably played his way
into a multi-year deal, most likely to re-up with Orlando.

>Hot rod Williams

Has certainly went downhill since he left Cleveland. Could be a great backup
for a team boasting Ewing, Admiral or Hakeem, but I don't think he's a
starter in this league anymore.

	 	    ______________      __   ___   ___
	 	   |              \    /  | |   | |   |
	 	   |___     ___    \  /   | |   | |   |
	 	       |   |   |    \/    | |   |_|   |

			     Jon Michael Hamm
			  JonMichael@Honors.ou.edu

    	3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
    	     Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
      		Illiterate?  Write today for free help!