JOHNSON CALLS IT QUITS

>From: Tim.Leidecker@t-online.de (Tim Leidecker)
>Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.phx-suns
>Subject: JOHNSON CALLS IT QUITS
>Date: 4 May 1997 09:53:13 GMT
>
>Phoenix Suns star guard Kevin Johnson
>announced his retirement following
>Saturday's 116-92 Game 5 loss to the
>Seattle SuperSonics that knocked the
>Suns out of the play-offs.
>
>The 31-year-old Johnson announced
>before the start of the season that he
>was likely to end his playing career at
>the end of this campaign.
>
>Johnson, who started his career with
>Cleveland in 1987, finished Saturday's
>game with 20 points, four assists and
>four steals.
>
>(:-... Tim

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One
trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the
time I caught the ferry over to shelbyville. I needed a new heel
for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they
called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt,
which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel,
and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. "Give
me five bees for a quarter", you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah!
The important things was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the
style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war.
The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

     -Abraham J. Simpson