Re: Pitino statements I like

> Here are some things Pitino has said in the past
> days that I really like.  .
>
> (1)  Asked about what if we don't get the #1 and Duncan,
> will he pick Mercer, he says he's not sure Mercer is
> the answer to the Celtics needs, which are the front
> line and a point guard.  Nothing against Wesley, who
> has developed and contributed well, but you have to admit
> that Wesley was just beginning to show this year that
> he "gets it" as point guard.  There are a bunch of
> college point guards that "get it" already.  I want one
> of them.  The Dallas pick might be a bit high to use for
> one but I won't whine if Pitino does that.  I think with
> Brown and Barros on the roster whether we like it
> or not, Wesley has to go.  He'd make a good backup if
> we didn't already have too many munchkins, but we can't
> afford another small guard contract.

Rick is a master tactician, don't you think his comment about Ron Mercer
may have been for teams who are looking at Mercer as the 2nd or 3rd pick
overall. I say this because he has also been talking about Lafrentz, so if
he drafts a PG with the Dallas pick, he can easily pick Battie or Foyle
with his 1st assuming the C's don't get the first selection, so why worry
about LaFrentz unless he feels that he is better than either of them.

> (2)  He talked about not dwelling in the past, particularly
> in regards to the players who are signed and who we might
> consider albatrosses.  Pitino seems revved up about the
> prospects of getting Dino, Dana, maybe even Dee (didn't
> mention him) in shape, playing defense, and loving it.
> I like that.

Again here, I feel that all this talk about Dino implies that he is gone
and he is being hyped for the sole purpose of keeping other teams
interested. I belive Pitino would like to get one more first rounder and
one trade that make sense is Dino to Clippers for their 1st rounder.
Clippers historically haven't been able to sign anybody and this year one
of their mainstays Loyd Vaught is an FA and will get great offers from
other teams..so this deal could make sense to them. This pick could yield
the PG Rick is talking about, which will give him the leverage in contract
talks with Wesley.

> He also mentions being creative to solve
> the salary cap problem, which we'd all like to see, but
> I like it that he's not writing off anyone.  We could be
> delighted to see how good some of these players can be
> under a system and a demanding teaching coach.   Pitino
> uses and needs a deep bench, so we're going to see a lot
> of minutes going around to the guys we aren't crazy about now.

Looking back, there have been no takers for middle tier C's players who the
perception is being paid higher than what they are worth, with the
exception Fox  who attracted some interest during the trading trading
deadline (Wesley, Walker and Williams don't count because Wes is making
league min and Walker & Williams are rookies). Rick is not writing off
anyone because he has to market their skills for the sake of salary cap
flexibility and a portrayal of deadwoods not being deadwoods can only help.

                                                               - Mishra