Re: Pronunciation...

>        A friend of mine and I were discussing sports last night and the age
>old question about the pronunciation of Boston's mascot came up.  Why is it
>that the Celtics are the only instance in which you don't see Celtic
>pronounced Keltik?  We are sure that there is a completely valid resaon, we
>would just like to know it.

Pronunciation of ancient terms is difficult to trace at the best of times.
The hard C version of Celtic somes from greek records that talk of a people
that refered to themselves as the Keltoi, refering to the inhabitants of the
current area of Great Britain.  The soft C version was used by the Celtic
regions of France, so both versions are actually quite usable.

Sabbatt

           The ultimate, angels' law,
           Indulging every instinct of the soul
           There where law, life, joy, impulse are one thing!
           -- Robert Browning
           jumpshot@onaustralia.com.au