pitino

          I still can't believe there are those out there who have
          doubts about Pitino. I think there is only one coach in any
          job in the basketball world who would be considered "safe"
          if Pitino were to express interest in that job -- that is
          Pat Riley. Other than that, I think Pitino could virtually
          have his pick of any other job in the NBA. He already had
          the pick of all college jobs with Kentucky.

          What I'm saying is, there is universal respect for this
          man's abilities. There are very few coaches who can make a
          difference in the NBA, but Pitino is one of them. He will
          have the kind of power and security that precious few
          coaches have. Do you think Penny Hardaway could have forced
          Pitino out the same way he forced Brian Hill out? Hardly.
          The players will know with Pitino that there is only one way
          to do things -- his way. This is something the Celtics
          (along with 95 percent of the teams in the NBA) need badly.

          And if the housecleaning that the Globe reported lets us
          keep Bird in the process, that's even better. If it doesn't
          and Larry goes to Indiana, then we should wish him the best
          of luck and root for the Celtics and Pacers to meet in the
          Eastern Conference Finals year after year.

          Mark