Bird as GM

Ok, this might sound like a stupid question, but I'll fire away
anyway...what exactly does a general manager do?  I know it's different
with each team's org. structure, but I don't know what the general
responsibilities are. Is any part of it actually "managing" people or the
organization? Or are there "chiefs of staff" who handle the business
affairs and day-to-day business of the internal organization?

I ask this because I would worry if Larry Bird was responsible for business
affairs. He's not the most articulate, grammatically correct guy out there.
Hey, I may be wrong and this is not a job requirement. I know I might get
flamed, but I am truly curious.

TJL

tjoyce@mit.edu