Bill Walton

I expected that folks might say Walton would be impossible to get as an
assistant ... the several comments i have seen flash by were somewhat
shocking....

Some arguments for including Walton as an assistant:

1)  Big Men need coaches too.... DJ, K.C. and even M.L. do have a great
knowledge of the game BUT they don't have the "Experience" of playing in
the paint in the NBA....Walton has some experience consulting for Dale
Brown at LSU with a young man who has played some decent basketball
named Shaq ... among others.

2)  Ramsey and Wooden too.  Besides knowing the game in the tradition of
the Celtics, Walton has also learned from two of the greatest minds in
basketball history ... the combination of the three makes him one of the
most knowledgeable big men in the x's and o's of the game.

3)  NOT "Don't Worry Be Happy" Attitude .  Walton does not mince words
about poor fundamental basketball.  This is an attitude that the team
could use desperately at this point.

4)  A little history ain't so bad.  It is true that sometimes Big Red
gets nostalgic.  However, one of the weaknesses of the current era of
the NBA IS not learning ANYthing from their forerunners.  Walton would
expect young players to Watch tape of comparable talents from past eras.
 Would that be so bad?  What could Tim Duncan learn from watching Connie
Hawkins??? A LOT.  As for Celtics past, Walker's defensive weaknesses
probably justify viewing a bit of Satch Sanders, Paul Silas and
Cornbread Maxwell.  NOT that you don't have to learn to DO the things
to, but SEEING something done, the VISUALIZING is a wonderful way to
begin the learning process.

I must admit that CHIEF would be great as well.  But I wonder if he'd be
vocal enough to counter-act the negative influences created by ML Carr.

dbr