Carr on Defense

Celtics' defense takes turn as worst: Rivals
                    have best shot against them

                    By Peter May, Globe Staff, 03/19/97

                    With all the giddy anticipation of seeing Tim Duncan
don a Celtics cap
                    on draft night, let us not lose sight of the
not-so-giddy present. The team
                    he may join is compiling one of the worst seasons in
NBA history not
                    only in the standings, but also in two important and
revealing categories.

                    The Celtics are leading the league in points allowed
and opponents'
                    shooting percentage. In and of itself, that may not
necessarily be a
                    terrible thing; in fact, coach M.L. Carr notes that
Boston is not the worst
                    in terms of point differential, scored vs. allowed
(Vancouver and San
                    Antonio are worse).

                    However, what the Celtics are doing relative to the
rest of the league is
                    revealing. It's one thing to allow 107 points a game in
a high-scoring
                    league. That, obviously, is not the case this season.
It's one thing to
                    allow teams to shoot better than 50 percent if others
are doing the same.
                    That also is not the case.

                    Simply put, the Celtics' numbers in those two
categories are so far above
                    the norm as to be considered historically horrible.
Through Sunday,
                    Boston was allowing 106.8 points a game, 10.5 more than
the NBA
                    average. Among the truly odious teams of the last 30
years, only the
                    1991-92 Mavericks, who were 11-71, come close in that
category. They
                    allowed 9.2 points more than the league average.

                    The opponents' shooting percentage is even more
revealing, for it
                    indicates how hard the Celtics are making it for the
other guys to score.
                    The answer? Not hard at all. Only one team, Boston, is
allowing
                    opponents to shoot better than 50 percent (50.2); the
league average is
                    45.3. To illustrate their defensive passivity even
more, the team closest
                    to the Celtics is Vancouver, which is at 47.5 percent,
closer to the norm
                    than the edge.

                    These numbers mean little to Carr.

                    ``Obviously, it's not what we want,'' he said
yesterday, ``but what's
                    more important to me is differential. I could make it
an 80-point game
                    every night by simply walking the ball up the floor,
but I won't do that.
                    If we're leading the league in points allowed but still
had a plus
                    differential, I'd be very happy.''

                    The 1991-92 Warriors did just that. They allowed a
league-worst 114.8
                    points a game, 9.5 points above the average, but scored
118.7 a game.
                    They finished 55-37 but lost in the first round of the
playoffs.

                    So games like Monday night's 126-117 victory over
Milwaukee are OK.
                    You may have heard Chris Ford talk in reptilian tones
about the Bucks'
                    defense, but you heard nothing from Carr, even though
the Bucks shot
                    54.5 percent.

                    ``We're playing an aggressive, trapping style and we
want to make the
                    game up-tempo,'' Carr said. ``If you put a couple guys
back there as
                    shot-blockers, it'd be a whole new ballgame. Don't
forget, we had
                    Antoine [Walker] playing center for a while.''

                    Walker couldn't guard the big centers. Walker can't
guard anyone on the
                    perimeter. As much as we all are impressed with the
rookie's
                    considerable athletic skills on offense, not to mention
his voracious
                    rebounding, his on-the-ball defense is abominable. And
he's not alone.
                    Eric Williams isn't a whole lot better. Breaking down a
Celtic in the
                    half-court is about as hard as breaking a dollar bill
at a bank.

                    You can chalk it up to all the pieces that are missing,
but you also have
                    to be concerned that nothing is being done about it.
The scoring and easy
                    baskets continue, unabated, and while Carr insists
things will be better
                    next year - how can they not be? - you have to wonder
whether bad
                    habits are becoming ingrained.

                    ``What does concern me,'' Carr said, ``is containment.
One-on-one
                    defense. That's the thing we have to get better at. You
can't allow a guy
                    to get by you. All of a sudden, you're in the advantage
game.''

                    There is no better team at capitalizing on the
``advantage game'' than
                    tonight's opponent, the Utah Jazz. They are shooting a
league-best 49.8
                    percent from the field.

                    In a league where no team is averaging 50 percent from
the field, the
                    Celtics are trying their best to change that. Since the
All-Star Game, the
                    Celtics have played 21 games and lost 19. In 18 of
those games,
                    including seven of the last eight, the opponent has
shot 50 percent or
                    better. Recent history tells us Utah should make it 19
out of 22.

                    Rick Fox (bruised right heel) and Walker (sprained
right ankle) sat out
                    yesterday's practice but will go tonight. Dee Brown
will get more time if
                    his big toe isn't any worse ... Carr said he likely
will re-sign Stacey King
                    to a second 10-day contract. The first expires after
tonight's game ... A
                    crew from the Discovery Channel was at practice to
shoot a sports
                    segment for a piece about the city of Boston. Fox ended
up playing
                    against the camera crew and didn't guard anyone there,
either.

tjoyce@mit.edu