re: Big Ten

>Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:37:54 -0500 (EST)
>From: Christopher Gee <cgee@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
>Subject: big ten/hakeem
>
>Final point is it irks me that some college conferences don't have post
>season tournaments(big ten).  Minnesota is now guaranteed #1 in the NCAA
>and they are rewarded for not playing a postseason tournament while Duke
>who is a possible #1 now could lose that spot if they lose in the very
>competitive ACC tournament.  Besides the fact that conference tournaments
>provide some oif the best games who will see the entire year.  Something
>needs to be done because there is no reason why the big ten is special or
>better than other conferences.
>
>Christopher R. Gee

The Big Ten (with 11 teams) begins a tournament next year. Why shouldn't
Minnesota get a #1? They won the Big Ten hands down. The problem with
tourneys is that whenever you have an upset winner (say a 11-14 team wins
the tourney vs. a 21-4 team -- and this HAS happened), then BOTH teams wind
up making the NCAA -- and some other deserving team on the "bubble" does
not. And Duke DOES deserve better for its regular season success -- and the
regular season should count for something. Like most of college sports,
these tourneys are about one thing -- making money. And, for better or
worse, the Big Ten is finally following suit...

Bob Miller