Re: guaranteed contracts

> So there is a real disincentive for any team to take Brown et al., even if
> the Celts pay part of his salary.
>
> The stipulation that the salary of a player cut from the roster still
> counts against the salary cap -- why does this stipulation exist? It
> doesn't seem to make much sense to me..
>
> Is there no way to cut a player and not have it count against the salary cap?

You can have the player retire (thus forfeiting the salary).  The player
could not play in the league for the next 1.5 or 2 years, and if they
returned while the contract was still in effect, you would suddenly have
their salary counted back against your cap.  Some contracts also have
clauses saying the player gets paid whether or not they retire, but I
believe if they are retired, you do not count it against the cap even if
they are still getting paid.  Thus, you could conceivably offer Dee Brown
20 million dollars to retire, but I doubt he'd take it (he still wants to
play).

> Can you shoot the player? Would the salary then count against the salary
> cap? (just a theoretical question)

I believe the Reggie Lewis ruling is that you must continue to count the
salary against the cap until the end of the contract (though there may be
a three year limit).  So, strange as it may seem, the NBA seems to think a
dead player is of more benefit to a team than a retired player.

Adam