Re: guaranteed contracts

At  9:17 AM 97.3.5 -0500, Adam A Suchocki wrote:
>Actually, this question has been answered by several people during the
>season.  The short answer is, if you cut a player, you still have to pay
>him, and his salary counts against the cap.  If you trade a player and
>agree to continue paying part of the players salary, the part you pay does
>not count against the cap.  The full salary of the player counts against
>the cap of the team you traded him to even if you are paying part of the
>salary.

Thanks for the info.

So there is a real disincentive for any team to take Brown et al., even if
the Celts pay part of his salary.

The stipulation that the salary of a player cut from the roster still
counts against the salary cap -- why does this stipulation exist? It
doesn't seem to make much sense to me..

Is there no way to cut a player and not have it count against the salary cap?

Can you shoot the player? Would the salary then count against the salary
cap? (just a theoretical question)

- -Marc