Re: forget Pitino, remember Karl

At  5:14 PM 97.3.2 -0800, damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

>That being the case, M.L. will be the coach through '98-'99, unless...they
>hire George Karl. Here's something to think about. Let's say ownership
>gives M.L. one more year as coach to honor his dedicated service, his
>ability to take abuse, and a franchise saving trade. George Karl's contract
>is up at the end of '97-'98. Why not forget about Pitino and go after
>someone who's a proven NBA coach? Carr keeps talking about Seattle-style
>defense, yes? Makes sense to me. I still don't understand this constant
>glorification of Rick Pitino.

Interesting suggestion. I didn't realize Karl would be available. If the
Celts have acquired a decent roster by the end of '98 George Karl might be
a good catalyst (a la Bill Fitch?) to get them playing real basketball. The
only fear is that ML will have hampered the development of the team so much
it will take a lot of remedial work on the part of any new coach to
"unteach" bad habits.

- -Marc