forget Pitino, remember Karl

Three quick things.
1. I think we all need to face something: ML Carr is coming back. Yes, like
it or not, Rick Pitino will not be the coach of the Celtics next year. I
quote from an article in the rag out here in Portland, by Kerry Eggars:
"There is no truth to the rumor that, at the end of the season, Rick Pitino
will walk away from the U of K for the Boston Celtics and Portland coach
P.J. Carlesimo will move on to Kentucky. M.L. Carr, who somehow has Celtics
ownership convinced he can coach, will stay on for next season, sources
say." Peter May also reported a laughing M.L. denying that Pitino is
coming, saying that Carr wants to be around for the turn-around. I don't
know how you all feel about this...well, that's not true, you all feel ML's
an incompetent. A quick prediction: I'm going to assume that an overly
medicated Ronald Reagan could coach the Celtics to more wins next season.
That being the case, M.L. will be the coach through '98-'99, unless...they
hire George Karl. Here's something to think about. Let's say ownership
gives M.L. one more year as coach to honor his dedicated service, his
ability to take abuse, and a franchise saving trade. George Karl's contract
is up at the end of '97-'98. Why not forget about Pitino and go after
someone who's a proven NBA coach? Carr keeps talking about Seattle-style
defense, yes? Makes sense to me. I still don't understand this constant
glorification of Rick Pitino.

2. Travis Knight? Some of you wanted to acquire young Travis, and probably
still do. Travis, however, should get ready for bad postal service because,
prediciton #2, he's going to be playing in Turkey or Israel in two or three
years. I've seen the boy play...left alone on the court he's not a total
stiff, but if you put a body on him...STIFF.

3. Eric Williams: I keep reading letters saying the Celtics should trade
him. Now I don't get to see any of the games, but from reading the game
summaries and keeping track of the stats, I think it would be a big mistake
to trade a young, obviously talented, strong, quick, small forward who can
score and will probably keep getting better and better.