Re: Draft and others....

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Brian Murphy wrote:

> Anyone like Carmelo Travieso as a second round pick?  He seems very good
at
> coming off screens and getting right into his shot.(similar to what
Reggie
> Miller does).  Also, he may prove to be a decent backup point guard.
>

> eligible i say we grab him.  Although im biased, if the dallas pick is
8-9,
> i still say we grab Honeycut.  A 6-9 power forward that can consistently
> knock down NBA threes isnt common. His all around game is much better
than

I think Travieso would be a bad pick because we'll have a very high pick
in the second round and Travieso at best will be a late second round pick.

I agree with you on Honeycut.  He has the skills to be a quality PF.

Another possibility that hasn't really been discussed is trading down with
our second pick and drafting a high school player if one's available.  I'm
against HS players bypassing college but if they're coming out you have
to consider them and you could end up with a future all star (Garnett, Kemp,
maybe Bryant soon).  Even O'Neal hasn't been a bust and he'll
probably make it in the league.  Since we have two picks it may be worth it
to be safe with one (Duncan, Battie, or Mercer) and then gamble with the
other.

Jeff Stanners
98jstann@uor.edu
Redlands, CA

                           / ^   ^ \
                          { (o) (o) }
      -------------oOOOo-------U-------oOOOo--------------
     |                                                   |
     |   Quote from David Stern,                         |
     | "With the first pick in the 1997 NBA draft -      |
     |   The Boston Celtics select, TIM DUNCAN,          |
     |    of Wake Forest University."                    |
     |                                Oooo.              |
     |                 .oooO          (   )              |
                         \_)