Random Thoughts

I don't know about everyone else but I am looking forward to this season
more than anyone since 1987.  I am SO EXCITED!!

Random Thoughts:

Paul "Thanksdad" Gaston:  I am not convinced.  And we don't owe him an
appology. C'mon.  People we're calling for him to hire Pitino on this list
2 years ago. He could have gone after Pitino the year after Kentucky won
the title and we could have been spared last season. I know he was
(according to Pitino) the one who sealed the deal with Pitino, but there is
no excuse for the past 2 years of hell.

It got so bad that this almost happened last year.  I was at a Celtics game
sitting 4 rows behind him (and right behind Jo Jo White! -- That was the
silver lining of last season: That only the diehards were there leaving
lots of great seats for us $10 ticket holders! Alas the fairweather fans
will be back in droves next season, all with more money than me and can
afford $60 seats).  These kids found out who Gaston was and asked for his
autograph. It made me sick. The Celts were losing, not trying very hard and
ML was just sitting on the bench.  The whole scene infuriated me.  I came
this close to walking up to Gaston, asking for his autograph, then ripping
it up in his face and saying "thanks for ruining the Celtics!".  Guess I'm
glad I didn't but he just was way to smug for a 15 win team owner.

Chris Wallace: Having him makes me a lot less nervous about our (lack of)
big men next season.  I know he & Pitino will find and attract 2 bangers
that will really improve our team (remember he was partly responsible for
keeping Issac Austin in Miami out of thier Free Agent Camp, Boston passed
on him.;  The Heat also found Voshon Leonard, their starting SG, as a FA.)

Ben Pepper:  A lot of people have decried Wallace's pick of Pepper as
flexing his muscle instead of taking Woolridge or Freeman.  He said on the
radio the night of the draft that the reasont take Pepper over a US player
is b/c the Celtics retain the rights to an international player
indefinitely.  If Freeman is picked at #55 and doesn't make the team we
"waste the pick" according to Wallace.  Remeber we picked Radja (I know,
not a nice word on this list these days, but don't forget he should have
been on the all-star team in 1995 instead of Juwan Howard) in 89 and didn't
get him till 91 or 92.

So basically we pick Pepper now, let him keep developing in the Austrailian
leagues for 2 years then if he's NBA quality bring him over to back up Vin
Baker!  If not we can hold onto his rights longer or add them as part of a
trade.  Remember Dallas gave up Jamal Mashburn for Kurt Thomas (Miami's #1
pick in 95), Martin Murseep (Miami's #1 in 96) and THE RIGHTS for Sasha
Danilovic (who Miami got as a "throw in" to "sweeten the pot" in a trade
from Golden St.)

I think with Pitino here players like Freeman and Woolridge will want to
come and try out for him.  I say the Pepper pick was a good one!

Logos:  The Celtics will never/should never change their logo (especially
if I have any say in it!!, which I don't). Just like the Yankees, Cowboys,
and Lakers will never change theirs.  Just too much tradition, besides
outside of the Grizzlies, Hawks, Sonics and (maybe, since I haven't seen
them yet) Wizards the new logos/jersey are really stupid! The Pistons,
Rockets, Sixers, Jazz and Nets all are pathetic!!

NBA Hats:  Did anyone else think the Hats they gave Billups and Mercer
looke totally dumb?  Those hats with the stripe only work for some teams
(the Kings stood out).  But the Celtics colors are GREEN and WHITE, not
Green and Yellow.  The NBA's had 50 years to figure that out. C'mon.  I
like the simple green hat with white cursive lettering.