The deal with Dino

More clues in this mornings Globe regarding the negotiations that are going
on behind the scenes with Dino Radja.  His agent is rationalizing Dino's
return to Europe,  and states among other things that Dino only came over to
the NBA for a chance to play for the Celtics. Many of his front office
friends have been purged, and now he is stuck with an organization who
clearly doesn't want him.  Radja's agent Fleischer also contrasts the rigors
of the 82+ game NBA and the pounding that Dino's knees would take compared to
the softer 40 game European schedule.  Throw in some unnamed "personal
problems", and this spells a deal to get him back home.
If Pitino can get the C's out of the Radja contract, and free up the salary
space this is a great deal, even if he gets nothing in return.  I would even
go so far as to pay Dino a one time buyout this year, to push it along.   The
key will be stoking his ego and allowing him to save face.  Pitino is a
master at this game.  His about face in the arbitration hearing was also a
wise move.  If he had pushed this one, chance are he would have lost anyway,
and in the process gotten a reputation of a hardball player that no team in
the league would have been eager to deal with in future trades. By letting
Philly off the hook so quickly, he comes out of this with a reputation as an
honest and fair guy to deal with.

On a seperate topic, I would like to see the Celtics take a serious run at
McDyess.  Looking at Denver's current roster, the drafting of Battie makes
McDyess more expendable. Denver would want Billups, but I would hold on to
him.  I would propose Eric Williams (1.0M$ salary) and Denver's choice of
either Minor or Ellison (both at approx 1.8) for McDyess  (2.6M$).  Denver is
in need of a small forward, and could use help at either the 2 or the center
spot, so this is a "fair" deal for them, considering McDyess will leave next
year, and they get players at 2 positions in return.  This deal allows
Antoine to play the 3, and with McDyess at the 4 spot, a free agent center
such as DeClercq or Knight would nicely round out the picture.  If McDyess
goes FA next year, then we go back into the market.