Draft Ruminations

Greetings all,
     Just a few thoughts on the draft just past.  I don't think that
I'm knocking the decisions that R.P. made by saying that, although the
teams state is much improved, the overall position of the Celtics is
still very precarious.  Though I will criticize Pitino to the extent
of saying that I'm still shuddering form the after effects of the
Pippen Rumor/Panic (I'm certain that it was responsible for that big
dive the stock market took).  Given the length of Rick's contract I
think we will have to chalk it up to demonic possession and hope that
the C's were able to locate a suitable Irish cleric to perform the
exorcism.
      The new Celtic triumvirate (Walker, Billups and Mercer) remind
me of nothing so much as the Golden State Warriors Hardaway-Richmond-
Mullin teams of the early 90's.  Which is not all bad.  The=20
Warriors made it to the conference semi's a couple of times with those
players.   But nobody ever thought for a moment that they were
contenders.=20
     The challenge that faces Pitino is to get the quality big man
that is the foundation of a contending NBA team (that doesn't have
Michael Jordan on the roster).  It's hard to imagine that the C's are
going to acquire this player through the draft so it will have to be
the free agent route.  So Rick has got to sit down and plot a course
that will result in the C's having at least 10 millions in cap space
after one of the next three seasons.  Otherwise the gains made in this
draft will be wiped out.
     This means that Pitino must not sign any free agents to contracts
that will last through his target free agent season (and that includes
=46ox).  And that he has to figure out a way to move some of those big
contracts.  Also, unless Pitino can make the move for next summer, it
also means that Eric Williams does not have a long term future with
this team.
     Frankly the vindictive tact that Pitino seems to be taking on the
Radja situation is all wrong.  Let's say that Dino does go back  home
for half pay.  What are the Celts going to do, use half his salary to
sign an FA this year (a mediocre starting point guard) and then spend
the other half in three years (for say a backup power forward).  Moves
like that won't help the C's become contenders.  But if Pitino gets
half of Dino's contract this year and then has to wait for the other
half till after the 2K season, will he have the will power to hold off
on spending the money?  Off his actions of the last couple of weeks I
would doubt it.  The C's would be better of to make nice with Dino,
play him next year, build up his value and dump the whole contract at
once.=20
    =20
Bill Cooper
wfcooper@tiac.com