Re: pitino press conference monday

I listened to the archived audio tonight.  RP doesn't understand what is
Dino's problem.  His knee has been fine in workouts and he hasn't
complained of pain.  "Philadelphia wanted him, and he would fit right in
with their style of play."  RP also said if a player could simply refuse a
trade, "the whole trading system would have to be thrown out."  He wouldn't
speculate on action against Dino until 5 p.m. Tuesday, if necessary.  The
Celts did not try to trade Dino--Philly presented the suggestion.

The draft is not clear-cut, RP said.  The Celts will have to wait and react
to what Philly does.  "The first six or seven picks, everyone's in
agreement who they are.  It's just a question of where."  Battie, Billups
and Van Horn are his top three options.  He predicted Billups as one of the
top 5 PGs within a few years.  Battie plays above the rim more than anyone
they tested, will be an excellent shot blocker and rebounder.  VH is legit
6'10 1/4" in his stocking fit, mature.  Everyone they've brought in has a
great attitude.  He would not take Daniels at No. 3.

"Ron Mercer is a gem, but we don't need him at 3.  Considering him strongly
at 6."

They are also "very interested" in McGrady and Thomas with the 6.  He
changed his mind about McGrady after working him out.

If they draft a guard, they will likely not re-sign Wesley, unless another
guard is traded (due to cap reasons).  He wants Fox, but say nothing about
definitely bringing him back.

Foyle is a "sleeper" who will be good down the road, but he's interested
only in players who will help right now.  Even so, that doesn't preclude
drafting McGrady.

His formula: first year, build excitement; second year, significant
improvement; third year, playoffs (although obviously try to make the
playoffs the first year).

Dee Brown is on a weight loss program, and has lost 6 lbs. (target 185).
"In this style of play, you must come in in great shape, or you're going to
get injured."

RP even said he would be willing to trade down, and draft someone like
Cato.  (As you may have figured out by now, he would not be pinned
down--yes or no--on any option.  He really gave no definitive answers about
anything!)

He could not comment on Kemp.  "He's under contract w/Seattle."

Chris Wallace called the league "a huge shopping mall right now," because
everyone is talking to everybody about options for trades.  "As you get
closer to the draft, trades become more alluring."

Free agent camp will be this week after the draft.  Rookie camp will start
July 6, site to be determined.

No one asked about Baker!

Mike Dynon

P.S.  If you want to hear the archive yourself, just go to
http://www.realaudio.com and download the free player, version 3.0.  Then
go to NBA.com.  Also, Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. EDT, Pitino, Bird and a few
others will take part in a teleconference about the draft at the NBA.com
site.  Again, you'll need Real Audio.