SIXR13.htm

More blowing smoke from Philly ???

                      The Philadelphia Inquirer Sports

                           Friday, June 13, 1997

              Sixers study Tim Thomas at a pre-draft minicamp

                            By Stephen A. Smith
                           INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

   Former Villanova player Tim Thomas worked out yesterday for Sixers
   coach Larry Brown, who is considering taking Thomas with the No. 2
   pick in the June 25 NBA draft.

   ''The workout went fine,'' said Thomas, a day after a similar
   90-minute workout with the New Jersey Nets. ''I ran, shot, did some
   drills, etc. It felt a little like recruiting. Except . . . I'm trying
   to sell myself. I've just got to work hard at every aspect of my game.
   I've improved a whole lot, but I'm not where I want to be.''

   The Sixers are excited anyway. They are considering Thomas, along with
   Keith Van Horn of Utah, Tony Battie of Texas Tech and Ron Mercer of
   Kentucky, all of whom are also expected to work out for Brown before
   the draft.

   After San Antonio nabbed the No. 1 pick in last month's draft lottery,
   guaranteeing the Spurs the right to Wake Forest center Tim Duncan,
   Brown emphasized that the Sixers couldn't afford to waste the second
   pick in the draft.

   He said he thinks the Sixers need athleticism and versatility more
   than anything else. And from all indications, he couldn't have brought
   in a better player than Thomas.

   The Big East Conference rookie of the year last season, Thomas
   averaged 16.9 points and 6 rebounds in his only year of college
   basketball. At 6-feet-9_1/2, he has shown he has a perimeter and a
   post-up game, earning a reputation as a player who could take on
   anyone from anywhere on the court.

   With Brown entertaining the possibility of a three-guard offense,
   Thomas -- or Kentucky's Mercer -- might appear to be a better fit for
   the Sixers than forwards Van Horn or Battie.

   ''He's definitely a very talented player,'' Brown said after Thomas'
   workout at the Sixers' free-agent minicamp at the Keystone Healthplex.
   ''He has tremendous skills, he's young and he's a good kid. Plus, I
   love his upside.''

   So does Thomas. Despite questions about his defense, Thomas said he's
   confident he has enough skills for the Sixers to take a chance on him,
   even with the No. 2 pick.

   ''Plus, I'd love to play here,'' said Thomas, who is scheduled to meet
   with Boston and Vancouver next. ''I'm from New Jersey. I have a lot of
   friends in Jersey and Philly, and I'm an East Coast guy. I also know
   some of the guys on this team. We're all young, and I think we'd be
   great together.''

   ``The kid loves to play,'' Brown said. ''He blows you away. His
   outside shot, his skills with the ball, his athleticism. Plus, he's
   receptive to coaching. How can you beat that?''

   Only time will tell. About 12 days, to be exact.

   Philadelphia Online -- The Philadelphia Inquirer, Sports -- Copyright
                           Friday, June 13, 1997