Re: heard through the grapevine

At 1:10 PM -0400 6/13/97, mark piotrowski wrote:
>Does anyone know about these things I have heard over the last few days?
>
>1. Someone on the Usenet draft (real fun for draft junkies like me--if
>people want I will post the web site) said that if a team (they were
>talking about Philly) eats (or buys out) a contract (in this case Derrick
>Coleman) it takes it off the cap...is this true, sounds kinda implausible?
>That could have great implications for the celts (bye-bye Pervis, Minor,
>Dana, etc.)

Not true.

I think if another team picks them up I believe the amount they pay them is
then subtracted from the amount that counts against our cap, but I'm not
sure. Marty Conlon was signed for almost nothing but he is pulling in a
million plus from his last team I believe. That counts against their cap.
The amount we're paying him counts against our cap. This is one reason some
players (ones that have been cut/released0 will sign on to a new team for
very little.

>2.  David Robinson has a no-trade clause (meaning in the future either
>Duncan goes or they both stay)

I have heard this is true, but only on usenet, etc. not from a "reliable"
media source.

BTW wasn't the usenet draft last year only ~10% accurate vs the real one? ;^)