Re: PointGuard?

> > Tim Thomas won't be a 4 in the NBA, and Dee Brown is not a championship
caliber point.

> Okay, okay. Who do you think of, when you think of a pointguard(current,
no history please). All the big names, right? Penny Hardaway, Tim Hardaway,
Terrell Brandon, Alan Iverson, Gary Payton. So they all must be
championship caliber point guards, right? And yet they managed not to win
any championship. The Bulls is a championship caliber team,
> right? The pointguard there is Jordon? No......The point guard there is
Kerr and Harper. Is Kerr and Harper championship caliber point guards? No,
but the Bulls still managed to win championship including 1997.

> My point is: You do not need "championship caliber" players for every
position on your team to win hampionships..

Your last statement is correct, but it definitely helps to have players
like Bird, Magic, Jordan or Olajuwan that can step it up for the big games.
 Unfortunately the Celtics do not have, and probably won't have such a
player. These players are NBA dinosaurs near extinction, and the NBA is
turning into the National Brat Association with the Rodman's, Derrick
Colemans, Nick Van Exel's , Chris Webbers,  Shawn Kemp "Show me the money"
even though I may only average 8 points  & play 40 games next year, type
players.

 The key to winning championships is building the best all around team.
The top guards mentioned are all on teams that will never win it with the
current personnel.  Payton & Penny went for the big buck contracts limiting
their teams ability to maneuver under the cap.  Until last year I believe
Jordan made about $3M, allowing them to get key role players like Rodman,
Harper, & Kukoc.  When you have 2-3 guys making are making $10 -$15M a year
and the team cap is $24M-$26M, that does not leave much for the rest.

 Iverson is an exceptional athlete, but a shitty point guard who throws up
more bricks than the local mason,  & makes way too many turnovers, which
results in, what a coincidence, an annual lottery party ! Philly should
seriously take a look at Iverson & Stackhouse or in 3-4 years could be
hiring "Whoa Nellie" to clean house as he did with the 3 J's in Dallas due
to chemistry problems.   Brandon is simply overrated.

We have to remember, unless you have Michael Jordan, it takes a team effort
to win championships.  Last night was a perfect example even though Pippen,
Rodman & the rest stunk it up, Jordan beat Utah even as sick as he was.
Today's players get a hang nail and there out for 2 weeks look at Barros,
Brown, Minor, & "Out-a-service" Pervis last year.  How many Celtic players
would have played the way Jordan felt last night ?

Whoa, sorry about that .  The chimichanga was screaming & I had to vent !