predraft camp notes

Old Celts Danny Ainge and Kevin McHale double-teamed new coach Rick Pitino
for a round of abuse
during the NBA's pre-draft camp in Chicago this past week.
"We're breaking him in," said Phoenix coach Ainge as they three joked.
Said McHale, now in charge of the Timberwolves, "I told him I can't believe
he's making $50 million and
I'm the one with my number retired. I'm going to get up on a ladder and tape
over my number."
"Those guys are tough," said Pitino with a smile and a shake of his head.
Tim Thomas, who left Villanova after his freshman year, has been mentioned
here as a possibility for the
Celts if they keep the No. 3 pick. His talent level puts him that high (maybe
even at No. 2), but Pitino said
the question is how much he wants to play.
"I think Tim Thomas has great skills and could be an impact player in this
league," Pitino said. "The issue is
how much he wants that. How much does he want to be a great player? That's
what's going to decide how
far he ultimately goes in this league." ... While most all of the NBA types
scanning the players at the pre-
draft camp had little good to say about the array of talent on hand, the
Celtics' chief scout offered a strong
rebuttal. ... "There's a lot of pessimism out there," said Leo Papile as the
camp came to a close. "People will
tell you a guy can't do this and a guy can't do that. They're saying these
guys won't be able to really
contribute for about five years. ... "But my view is totally opposite. I
don't want to look at these players that
way. What I think you have to realize is that some of these guys are going to
have to wear NBA uniforms,
so you'd better be looking at them for what you think you can develop. I see
some good players here, guys
who will fit really well into coach's system." ... Obviously, with Rick
Pitino providing the blueprint, it is
incumbent upon Papile, general manager Chris Wallace and the coaching staff
to locate material that can
succeed in an up-tempo style. ... "There's no Michael Jordans or Scottie
Pippens out here, but there are a ton
of guys at a different level who will be able to do what we need," Papile
said. "I try to look at what the player
will be after he gets to work with coach Pitino, and there are plenty of guys
here who can fit." ... It's still quite
early in the process, and much could change before the Celtics choose third
and sixth overall in the NBA
draft on June 25 (and it's quite possible they'll deal the picks away), but
the club may have come to its first
dilemma. ... Word around the league is that the C's have expressed interest
in Colorado guard Chauncey
Billups. The problem is that No. 3 may be too high to take him, and he'd
likely be gone by No. 6 because the
Nuggets won't let him get by at No. 5. ... Then again, free agent David
Wesley will be coming in to work out
for Pitino in the next week or two, and if Pitino likes what he sees and is
willing to pay Wesley's rate, the
Celts won't need a point guard in the draft.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "They can either do what we want or take off to
Margaritaville" -- Pitino on dealing with
players.
STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
While Pitino was busy in Chicago conversing with his peers, seeing the
players and attending a basketball
clinic and book signing, new general manager Chris Wallace was doing his
favorite thing -- talking hoops.
He acknowledges the Celts are open to discussion on the Nos. 3 and 6 overall
picks.
"We've got two of the top six picks and there are definitely some interesting
scenarios out there," Wallace
said. "We're going to talk to all 28 other teams and see what might be there
for us. I guess that's what a
lawyer would call due diligence.
"We can make the picks or deal them for something that could help us in
another way. But we're not
married to either scenario yet. We'll just wait and see what the interest
level is out there."