Re: TAke Mercer at #3 in the Draft

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, BigDave wrote:

> 	With the Mercer/Walker feud apparantly nothing but press garbage,
> the Celtics would be crazy not to take Mercer at the #3

For all those who dream about getting the next Grant Hill,
Mercer's style is too much like Minor to me(offensively unversatile).
Mostly mid range jumpers w/ great elevation.  Unlike Minor, he seems to
need screens to get his shot off.  Doesn't break people down in the half
court by himself.  Not creative going all the way to the basket like a
JR Rider or Kobe Bryant.

In my opinion, he's not even as skilled right now as those 2 non allstar
shooting guards, so shouldn't be picked #3.

Haven't seen him show the leadership, confidence, point guard skills of a
Pippen or Hill, although he's definitley built like them.
For example Mercer didn't play well in the tournament, yet Kentucky
gave Arizona a tough game.

The great hops, defense, midrange shooting touch, and the fact that he's
leaving college alot younger than current 90's style allstar swingmen
(Jones, Hill, Pip, Spree all polished seniors) make him tempting at #6.
Maybe he'll develop these guy's semi point guard skills in a few years.
Does anyone on the list think he can do it based on his style at Kentucky?

W/ his reluctance to break people down off the dribble, I don't think
he'd be an allstar swingman like the above 4, or even as dangerous as
future allstars Rider & Bryant.  And Pitino said we need allstars.
I vote for Van Horn + Foyle, then Mercer.