Re: JOsersky's comments on Minor

I think it is rather funny that when a non-black person uses the "N"  word
he is obviously racist, but when blacks use it everything is o.k.  Does
this not appear to be a double standard ?  People should pick up Chris
Rock's latest comedy tape, this guy, an African-American,  uses the "N"
word about a hundred times, berating "N's" to the intense laughter of his
predominantly black crowd.  I just find it interesting that he can do a 20
minute tirade on this, with no problem, but if this was a white comic, he
would be looking for a new occupation.  He even has a funny part where he
says blacks are more racist, because they hate blacks for all the reasons
white people do , and that the belief that the media has portrayed them
this way is bullshit.  He says when he goes to the ATM, he isn't looking
over his shoulder for the media !  Ted Koppel never took anything from him.

People should take a look at his tapes he is a very talented comic, but not
for the faint of heart.  Very reminiscent of Eddie Murphy's early comedy
efforts.

This is an interesting, but sad,  look at race relations in today's society
?  Everyone should know by now there are good and bad in all races and
always will be.

- ----------
> From: mark piotrowski <pio@edu15.coe.ufl.edu>
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Re: JOsersky's comments on Minor
> Date: Saturday, June 07, 1997 4:46 PM
>
> I know that people are basically worn out on the Greg Minor issue, but
> would like to clear up one of my posts (reprinted at the end of this
> message).
>
> On June 5, I posted a message questioning JOsersky's use of what I
thought
> was racist language.  I had some misgivings b/c since I had deleted all
the
> old messages on the Minor subject and JOsersky didn't say what message
(if
> any) she/he was replying to I wasn't sure exactly what his/her comments
> refered to (Noah's post makes it appear that it was Phe Meas').
>
> I was also nervous b/c of the possibility of my post being misinterpreted
> and unfairly labelling someone a racist. Normally I don't get into
> non-Celtic discussion on this list, but I thought a line had been crossed
> in the Greg Minor discussion.
>
> I was a little wary of calling JOsersky a racist so I DID NOT AND WILL
NOT
> CALL JOsersky A RACIST. I think that the word "N*gger" is racist, and
> uncalled for in this or any other situation, but being a racist and using
> racist language are not one in the same.  Without going into all my
beliefs
> (which I'm sure no one cares about, but will discuss off the list if you
> do) I think that calling someone a racist, is a much heavier charge than
> simply saying their words are racist.  For example, if someone uses the
> n-word sarcastically like it appears that JOsersky did that is not the
same
> as calling it to someone's face or behind their back (although I would
say
> it's not right either way).
>
> I tried to make it clear that I wasn't sure if he/she was responding to
> someone else's post or making his/her own pronouncement but called into
> question the racist language used in either case.
>
> It does appear JOsersky was reacting sarcastically to Phe Meas' "she will
> become a lazy you know what" comment.  I also agree with Noah's comments
on
> the dangers/problems with communication over computer terminals.
>
> I appologize only if anyone misinterpreted my comments as calling
JOsersky
> a racist.  I did not and will not do that.
>
> Mark Piotrowski
> Go Celtics! Go Rick Pitino!
>
> ---------Phe Meas' and JOzersky's posts--------------
> >Phe Meas writes
> >>Guys, leave him alone. $30,000/month for child support??? Come on! It
> >>doesn't cost that much to take care of three kids a month!!! Maybe if
> >>the mother get a job, $5000 a month from Greg would be plenty. Think
> >>about it guys, if Greg pay her $30,000/month she will not work (until
> >>the kids are 18). She will become a lazy you know what with too much
> >>free time.
> >
> >JOzersky@aol.com responds
> >>what?  a lazy nigger?  You're an asshole.  Minor should have to pay her
> >>50,000, with what he makes.  Why shouldn't his kids live in the upper
middle
> >>class?  They might actually make something of themselves and go to
expensive
> >>good schools.
> >
> >This post indicates a very common problem with non-speaking
communication.
> >Without the ability to add inflections to indicate the sarcastic nature
of
> >the first sentence of his initial response, anyone who doesn't read too
> >deeply into the rest of the message
> >will misinterpret it as racist. According to my viewpoint Mr. Ozersky
was
> >indicating that Mr.Meas was himself a racist. I believe he was
attempting to
> >say that Mr.Meas view regarding the state of Minor's wife was itself
> >racist(although I hesitate to make my own opinions on the subject).
> >        I think these posts and their response indicate a real and
growing
> >problem in communication over computer terminals. Since everyone who
posts
> >understands their own message they assume that everyone else will too.
If