[none]

Having been unsuccessful with my previous two posts, I'm using the bludgeon
method this time...

My previous posts attempted to stimulate discussion about celtics strategy
in the coming year, especially in the context of what other coaches have
done in adverse situations(i.e. cleveland, miami and toronto). What should
we do? Our new coach emphasizes pressing and transition, is that good for us?
        On a more opinionated note, I think we should stop using the current
positional system to evaluate players. It unnecessarily limits their roles.
By calling Antoine a small forward, we unfairly limit our perception of him.
Small forwards are classified as scorers who do little else. They are
usually not ballhandlers and they don't normally involve themselves in the
scrum under the basket(How many true small forwards do we know? the only one
I can think of is chris morris and our own eric williams). Unlike a
"small-forward" Antoine is a jack of all trades. He rebounds like a power
forward,passes like a shooting guard, penetrates to the basket and posts up.
By categorizing him we limit our perception. Rather than continuing to whine
I would rather pose a solution. When we make our subjunctive starting line
ups we define our players role on the team(esp. in relation to their
teammates). For instance:

My starting lineup

Barros=outside shooting, secondary ballhandling and bringing the ball up the
floor.

Minor=Foil to Barros. Primarily used for defense and athleticism to counter
Barros' defensive inadequacies.

Walker=Primary ball handler. should take a secondary role on offense to
allow better offensive players to shine(Williams, Barros) and concentrate
more on his strength, offensive rebounding. Also used on the defensive board
to compensate for Williams.

Williams=Post up offense and maybe spotup shooting(if his jumper improves).

Big Mean --average-- Center=Set dirty picks, block shots, hurt people
driving the lane, dunk when close to the basket, pass, miss really ugly
jumper, throw knick into the fans and get their team suspended(typical
average center stuff).
This team would be transition oriented with four player able to finish on
the break and another to trail and slam if the necessity arises. In the half
court Barros would be the primary offensive option coming off multiple picks
looking for the open three. If nothing presents itself walker could either
penetrate or pass to Williams on the post.

        Although this is only an example(I just used who we had at the
moment plus a easy to get center), it gives a more comprehensive,
informative view of the proposed team and the proposer's intentions.

Noah