Re: center

At 04:59 PM 6/3/97 UT, you wrote:
>I'm really not that excited about Ervin Johnson; I'm sure Pitino wants a top 5
>center to build the team around.

I am not too excited about Ervin either. But he would fit into Pitino's
system(he can run the floor very well for a center so he is good on the break).

> I would take a shot at Foyle, resign
>Montross,

 Poor Monty would languish under this sort of system. He isn't athletic
enough to do much on a pressing, transition team. I don't think we should
take Foyle because of what I said in my earlier post. It's too much of a risk.

>or wait 3 years and try to sign Duncan.

Waiting three years to sign Duncan would be a good idea if we could get him,
but, unless he doesn't flourish, most other teams we also be slavering over
him too. San Antonio would be most likely to resign him because the wouldn't
have
to worry about the salary cap(using the larry bird exemption).

>(Or maybe San Antonio will
>give him to us).
>
>Lance

I don't think anything we could do would make them do that. David Robinson
is better face up than post player, extremely fast and light for a center,
so Duncan's post up game would complement his game facing the basket. In
addition, getting a center is something akin to winning the publisher's
clearing house. Out of 29 teams less than a third have a dominating center
and this collection took more than a decade to acquire. If San Antonio is
stupid enough to give him to us, I say give them everything we can. A player
like Duncan is so precious almost anything should be done to get one.