Re: Point Guard

I wouldn't stereo-type Pitino point guards based on one college team.
When he coached the knicks, his point guard was Mark Jackson, who was
definately a create of the dribble/pass first point guard.

Moreover, calling Delk the point guard is a big stretch.  Epps and
Walker ran the offense on that team.  Delk was a shooting guard (despite
his size).  But the point of Barros possibly fitting in is valid, Pitino
has shown he can make use of a small jump shooter in his system.  I ha e
more concern about Dee Brown's ability to fit in that role.  Dee is in
love with his outside shot, but it is not very effective.  He is very
good at getting the shot off even with a man in his face, but he is not
very good at hitting the wide open shot.  Everything I've seen in
Pitino's systems have revolved around getting people open perimeter
shots, fast break baskets, and if all else fails, allowing someone to go
one on one in the low blocks.  That sort of system doesn't need someone
who can hit 40 percent of his shots regardless of who is guarding him.
It needs someone who can hit 50-60 percent of wide open shots off a
quick catch and shoot (like Barros).

As to the lack of success of an all out running game, I have to
disagree.  Pitino's Knicks team ran like crazy.  They averaged in the
neighborhood of 110 points a game and won the Atlantic Division.  An
up-tempo offense doesn't mean you don't play defense, and Pitino has
shown a clear understanding of that.  His teams have been both
incredibly explosive offensively and very agressive defensively.  In
some ways, they resembe the 80's Lakers in that they run so much on
offense that people often overlook the fact that they are so good on
defense.  Coaces like Don Nelson, Doug Moe, and even Tommy Heinson have
been very successful with teams that constantly try to create man
advantages for easy shots (be they lay-ups or wide open perimeter
shots).  Playing this style does not mean the team is not playing very
aggressive defense.  Pitino's system stresses pressuring the ball to
disrupt the other teams ability to get into a set offense.  in a league
where more teams are going to big point guards with mediocre ball
handling skills, this type of defense can be very effective.  Some easy
baskets will be given up, but if the tempo can keep the scoring chances
to around 100 or so per team, the disruption the defense causes on the
other teams ball handlers will really take it's toll.  In this system,
being a smaller point guard, or even a two guard is not a big
disadvantage.  Pitino uses small guards to pressure the ball, double
team, and especially attack from behind in the press (ala David Wesley).
 Although there is some danger of the opponents posting up the smaller
guards, this is not neccisarily a bad thing.  It gets the opponents big
men standing around (often away from the basket), and it can stall out
the offense.  Even when players like Muggsy Bogues are playing, when is
the last time you can remember a team winning because they posted up the
 point guard for 30 points.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino ends up using Barros, Wesley,
and even Dee Brown (if he plays under control) a lot.  The Celtics will
most likely run a lot more than they did last year (which was more than
most teams ran).  There defense will be more aggressive than last year,
but the other team will still get some easy baskets.  This may be a case
where opponents shooting percentage alone is not an adequate rating of
the defense the Celtics play, as a lot of their defense will be about
getting the other team to make mistakes and turn the ball over.  Even
this past year, the Celtic's showed that with a pressing team they could
'cause even the better teams serious trouble.  The trick is getting the
players to commit to that sort of energy and work for the full game.  If
Pitino can manage that, the Celtics will score a lot, the oponents will
have a lot of trouble trying to run their half court offenses, and
players like Wesley, Dino, Barros, and Fox may have career years.

Adam