Re: SHAWN KEMP ASKS FOR TRADE!

"JLyell" <jlyell@concentric.net> writes:
> > Absolutely, Kemp is the best PF in the game today, yes I belive he is
> better than Karl Malone. He is only 26 years old and at the top of his
> game. He also plays Pitino style defence and is great in a fast break type
> of offense..he will be great. Regarding his attitude, have faith, we have a
> great motivator in Rick, he will be able to handle him.
> >                                                                     -
> > Mishra
>
> Although Kemp is an incredible athlete, I don't know if that makes a team a
> championship team if he brings a poor attitude with him.  I also remember
> seeing a report that no matter what age a player starts at,  the average
> time in the league is 9-10 years.  Kemp has been in what 7-8 ?  He could
> play 15, but then he could play 10-11 and this would not help the Celtics.

That sounds like one of those meaningless statistics that people like
to put together and quote.  Are you suggesting that Arvydas Sabonis
and Dean Garrett are just as likely to be in the leage 9-10 years as
any 21- or 22-year-old drafted in the past two years?  What about
Moses Malone, who started at 19?  He lasted, what, 20 seasons?  I
don't know where you read that statistic or how it was determined,
but I suggest you ignore it.  Shawn Kemp is a 26-year-old, and should
be regarded as such.

> He could hit the wall as Dominique Wilkins did after about 10 years.

Dominique Wilkins was never that good to begin with.  Phenomenally
athletically gifted, but he had a very poor understanding of the game
and very poor instincts.  When his extraordinary leaping ability
faded, there was nothing left except the fact that he does not know
how to play basketball.

By the way, I think it's absolutely outrageous to say that Kemp is
better than Karl Malone.  Just *what* does he do better?  Slam the
ball harder?