Marc Lamphier wrote:

> When and where did these "values" you speak of ever exist in professional
> sports? Ask any veteran of the NBA and most will tell you that they would
> love to be playing today and making the kind of money today's players get.

It's coincidental that you should bring this topic up Marc.  In late May,
I had the opportunity to spend some time with one of the greatest
C's, JoJo White.  We discussed what it is that drives today's athlete as
opposed to those from his era.  His reply was THE MONEY IS SO CRAZY!
You're right about the fact that all those from the "old school" would
love to be earning more now (What would Dr. J or Walt Frazier be worth),
but JoJo also emphasized that the ultimate goal for everyone when he
played, was to win the NBA Championship.  It seems like some of the
younger players have lost sight of this fact and are more than satisfied
with their bulging bank accounts.

While I'm at it, I would be very happy if Billups patterned his game
after someone like JoJo, who I felt got a very raw deal toward the end of
his career in Boston.  Anybody disagree?

Cecil