first post from old fan

     I was on the former Celtics list, but when it expired, I lost hope.  I
guess it worked out OK, as I was not faced daily with news of the latest step
enroute to the 14 win season.
     Having found this list, I am happy to see many of the names I had known
before, and happy to find such interesting dialogue about the team.  I've
been a fan for many years.  In fact, I was thinking this morning that the
first time I ever saw the Celtics, they were playing the Philadelphia
Warriors at the Boston Arena on St. Botolph St.  That was easily prior to
1965.  I don't remember if Wilt was playing or not.
    But, having lurked for three months, some thoughts from California...
     1.  There is talk of Bo Outlaw.  I go to 4-5 Clipper games per year.  Bo
is a rebounder and defender, but rarely breaks double figures.  An OK role
player, capable of streaks of excitement, but no franchise player.
     2.  Dee Brown and Dana Barros:  both overpaid.  Dana has a good outside
shot and can play a passable backup point.  Dee has an adequate outside shot,
is a better defender, but is not, and never has been, any better than an
emergency point guard.  If I had to keep one or the other, I'd probably keep
Brown.
     3.  Pitino and the passing of the flame:  I hope the team starts winning
again.  All signs are good, but I must join Dorine, albeit quietly, in
mourning the end of the era of the Celtics I grew up with.  During the past
40 years there has been a virtually unbroken  continuity of players/coaches,
frpm Russell to Heinsohn to Cowens to Bird and DJ.  Now all are gone.  The
front office is gone.  The Garden is gone.  Red remains, but in the shadows.
 The announcers also tie us to the past.  So do good work, Rick, but tip your
hat to those ghosts who might have found their way to the new building.
     4.  Maybe I am ignorant of today's pro sports, but one thing that seems
to me to be missing is the veteran player who can keep younger egos focused
on winning.  Too many of today's players are looking at their own stats,
their own salaries.  There seems to be a pattern that players learn more
about what is truly the goal (winning) just as their skills start to decline.
 Remember how happy Bill Walton was to be a part of the 1986 championship,
even though his role was limited?  Who will be the stabilizing influence who
will hold this group of hotshots together as they mature?  Who will kick ass
in the locker room?  Dee Brown?  I wonder...
     5.  Dino:  good luck, Dino.  You were just in the place at the wrong
time.
    So thanks, all, for your interesting posts.  I will resurface, but for
now will resume lurking.
  - Doug