Rate Pitino's Move Poll

>>OK so everybody has had fun lashing out in M.L.'s end of term
report.

>>Well, what grades would you give for Rick's moves so far?,
including...

>>1. Letting David Wesley go without a serious offer to resign him

D.

>>2. Giving up our second round pick for an executive from Miami

C.

>>3. Signing Travis Knight to a seven year contract for 22M

C.

>>4. Renouncing Rick Fox and Marty Conlon

Fox - D.
Conlon - C.

>>5. Getting rid of Dino for nothing (i'll say it again this list was
way = put out when he wasn't elected to the all-star game two years
ago) while = still having to pay a sizeable portion of his salary

B.  I don't care what Dino did two years ago - he's been injured ever
since, is paid WAY too much money and can't play defense if his life
depended on it.

I don't care how much of Dino's salary has to be eaten by Thanks Dad
- - I care how much of it counts towards the cap.  Anyone know?

>>All right he did get Billups and Mercer in the draft and
renounced 7 =other no-hopers but both these moves were widely
anticipated and would= have been made by just about anyone.

I'm not sure of this - would *anyone* else have renounced all those
players? Or just a smart GM? BTW - is there any difference between
"renouncing" a player and waiving him? I assume the difference has
cap implications.  If so, why couldn't they renounce Dino?

>>BTW this is not an attempt to start a serious poll just some food
for= thought regarding the subject of Pitino's GM skills.

I'm okay with Pitino for the time being, although if that dumb trade
for Scottie Pippen had gone through I might feel differently.

Rebuilding is a long process.  I don't think this time will do better
than making the playoffs as an eighth seed this year - and likely
they won't even do that.  But even if they win 15-20 games this year,
I still feel they're heading in the right direction.

Of course, I view things at a distance....

- -- Carl (who wonders if he will want to see Dino play when
Pantathinikos comes to Israel to play Maccabi Tel Aviv)

Carl Sherer
sherer@actcom.co.il