>>I'm confused about Rodman then, obviously since he wasn't with the Bulls
>>for 2 seasons he couldn't have been re-signed under the Larry Bird
>>exception. So does this mean his entire $9m salary fit under the Bulls
>>salary cap??? That's almost 1/3 of the total cap. Or was it structured
>>in such a way, using bonuses for # of games played, etc., that the basic
>>salary was much less? (in reality Rodman didn't collect all of his
>>salary due to games lost to injuries and suspensions).
>I think the Larry Bird excemption works according to length of contract
>rather than tenure on a team. From my research on the exception, I take it
>to mean that a team can resign any of their free agents for as much as they
>want, no matter how much their team is over the cap(but they have to do this
>before they acquire any other FA's--that's why pitino let Fox go). So, since
>Rodman and Jordan had been under contract for more than two years, the bulls
>could sign them for as much as they(the bulls) wanted to.

Did Rodman play for two seasons before being re-signed? I thought it was
one season. Well, I guess time flies when you're being weird.

But as for signing 2 players using the LB exception, Phe pointed out that
this exception can only be used if a team is under the cap.  Once one
player is signed this puts the team over the cap  -- thus a 2nd player
cannot be signed.

If this is correct then how was Rodman signed for $9m after Jordan had been
signed for $25m?

Phe Meas