Re: Vin Baker

At 03:55 PM 7/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>The only way we could afford Baker or any high priced free agent is if we
>got rid of everyone making over 1.2 million dollars.  This is about 6
>players.  That would be about impossible.  I wouldn't expect Baker to sign
>next year with the Celtics because they couldn't offer him much.  If we
>traded for Baker first, then we could resign him for any amount.

Baker may come cheaply(for his first 2 years at least) because of the Pitino
factor. He has a lot to gain by coming to the celtics. He gets a respected
coach(Pitino), No frontcourt post offense to compete with him for touches,
and young talent on the perimeter(counting Antoine and Eric as slashers).
Coupled with his stated desire to play in Boston, he may(unlike most other
NBA free agents) play for something other than money(again, for his first
two years). Pitino may sign him like the suns did with Chapman: two years at
the minimum(and whatever else the Celtics can scrape up)with a gentleman's
agreement to pay him off afterwards. If this does indeed happen, my only
question is what will happen to Williams? Will he flourish in Pitino's
system and not commit to a new contract? In which case, Pitino would
probably trade him before the deadline? Or will he commit to a new contract
and accept a role as a sixth man? Only time(and our speculation) will tell.

>The NBA Salary Cap is so screwed up now.  Teams like the Bulls have
>payrolls of around $45 million while and can still get quality players like
>Brian Williams while teams that only have payrolls of around $20 million
>are stuck in a bind and can't do crap.  The NBA has to redo the cap.  Last
>year was the year to get a free agent.  Other teams signing players for
>huge amounts hurt us.  Now we are stuck in a bind.

IMO this problem is controlling Pitino's plans. He realizes that the celtics
have to win to attract free agents and encourage the Rookies to resign. To
do this he needs to place the emphasis on winning now, not developing his
current talent. He would trade the entire team for veterans retiring next
year if he thinks he would have a winning team. The Pippen deal was
indicative of that strategy. I don't think any of our players(especially
rookies) are safe. Pitino is not looking to gamble with young talent.
        To achieve his goals he will, like the draft, deprecate the players
he wants to insure keeping them. On the other hand, he will artificially
inflate the players he like's value to insure he gets what he really wants
for them. Pitino's reason for making an all out attempt to win is to
counteract the "Derrick Coleman/Dino Radja effect".
        The Dino Radja/Derrick Coleman effect is a neurosis occurring in
most NBA players. While possessing a great degree of talent, they have no
desire to work hard on a losing team(notable exceptions include Loy Vaught,
David Wesley and (most importantly)Grant Hill). By keeping the Celtics
winning at all costs, Pintino's players stay happy and willing to play. By
losing(even for the good of the team), Pitino would initiate the blame game.
No fan wants their team to lose, and wants someone to blame if it does.
Winning now protects Pitino's job security. Players are also effected by
losing. They either become depressed/disillusioned or try to up their value
as a commodity. Dee's poor performance and demands are an example of the
first, Todd Day's  selfishness an example of the second. This becomes a self
perpetuating cycle, shown by the tribulations of the LA Clippers, Dallas
Mavericks and Warriors(to name a few). To survive Pitino has to establish a
winning tradition immediately, now matter what the cost.
        Two outcomes could represent his efforts. A successful example is
Pat Riley's burgeoning Heat team. By maintaining a high turnover through
free agency and trades, he was able to cull the bad elements while allowing
the ones he considered positive to flourish. An unsuccessful example is ML
Carr's stewardship of the celtics. In an attempt to restart the winning
tradition, Carr brought in a horde of freeagents(Ellison, Barros, Wilkens,
Minor) and draft picks(Montross) to try and help the celtics win
immediately. When he lost his gamble, initial fan enthusiasm waned and Carr
was labeled an "idiot" and a "moron".

Noah

Noah