Re: Question on Salary Cap

At 04:01 PM 7/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>So could a team like the Celtics offer Vin Baker a contract that will pay
>him the league minimum the first 2 years and then $20 million the next 2
>years?  Or could they sign him to the league minimum for 2 years and give
>him a $30 million signing bonus spread out over a period of 2 years?

They could do the first option, I'm not sure about the second.

>Now Joe Smith is thin, his agent is keeping everybody in
>suspense, he is the last year of his contract and his market value at its
>lowest ebb, but his talent is unquestionable. These are the reasons the C's
>could make a strong bid for him..if we can get him, we will have potential
>all star's at 4 of the 5 positions..and the right foundations for a
>championship team. - Mishra

I would rather have Vin Baker. Baker has publicly stated that he wants to
play for the celtics, and better suits our needs. Baker is a post up
player(Smith faces the basket), and, right now, we only have one player with
a post up game(EW). He also has more mass, better suiting him to play post
defense. Baker plus a trio of cheap defensive centers should make the
celtics into a conference title contender(if this year's rookies pan out).