Re: Radja arrived in Greece

On Tue, 8 Jul 97 22:22:17 UT, you wrote:

>Radja arrived in Greece this afternoon, local time, and claimed there is=
 no=20
>problem with his health and that he wants to play for the Greek team.  =
The=20
>only forseen problem, according to the article, is that the Celtics =
refuse to=20
>release him, but they want to "rent" him to the
>Greek team, and they demand a security deposit equal to 40% of Radja's=20
>contract, whatever that means.
>
>Stathis
>
>http://www.sport.gr/news/970708raza.htm

I wonder if this isn't a clever way of trying to get more of Dino's
cap relief available this year as opposed to spreading it out over two
or three years.  Perhaps the contract that is being referred to is
Dino's current contract with the Celts.  40% x 15 million equals 6
million, which is the number that has been bounced around for Dino to
go to Greece for.  By getting Parthanikos (?) to put up all the money
up front the C's could spend all of Dino's 5.5 million salary for a
free agent right away.  I guess it can't hurt to try.  Though I can't
understand why Rick is in SUCH a hurry.

Bill C.
wfcooper@tiac.com