Re: Knight Move

This list is for the discussion of Celtics and basketball.  I did not
see anything like a personal attack in my post, and would not call it a
pissing match.  Debating whether or not a real center is needed for a
championship team, what constitutes a real center, and whether the
Celtics have it within their capabilities of getting a real center are
all definately under this heading.

Evaluating basketball talent is as much opinion as fact.  You stated
opinions and I disagreed, such is the nature of discussion.  We both
brought arguments in our defense, some which each of us disagree with.
That also is the nature of discussion, and the nature of this group.
Please do not feel that my disagreement with your opinion is in any way
a personal attack on you, but be willing to defend your views when
posted.  Everyone can learn from debating eachothers opinions, and that
is the fun of this list.

As to Edwards, my point is still the same.  If you are calling him a
real center, there are a lot of them in the NBA, and the whole issue of
whether the Celtics need one for a championship is moot.  We can pick up
a Dean Garret, Luc Longley (who I would put on par with Edwards late in
his career), Greg Ostertag, Briant Reeves, etc. and go for it.  I think
two types of teams have won champioships of late - trapping guard
oriented teams, of which Detroit and Chicago could qualify, and teams
with a dominant inside presence - ala Houston, LA, and Boston.

Because Detroit acquire someone who played the center position, does not
mean that was the diference.  A lot of other factors came into play -
the Dantley for Aquire trade, the extra experience of the whole team
after the tough losses to Boston (in my opinion a very key factor in
their development), the improvement of Joe DUmars.  In my opinion,
Edwards played a role, but a secondary role on that team, and they could
have survived without his presence in the paint.

As to Parish vs. Knight (even as a rookie).  Parish averaged nearly
twice as many rebounds and over 50% more points than Knight despite
playing similar minutes.  Likewise, he was better in blocks by a decent
margin.  That is a fairly large statistical diference.  SImilarly,
Knights numbers are not as good as Eric Montross's rookie season.

Finally, I'll be honest, I don't understand the McHale to Knight
comparrison.  If you were implying that he would not have the impact of
a McHale, but were simply comparing him to McHale in that he could be a
6th man, I do not object (though I think there would be many more
talented 6th men the Celtics could acquire).

Finally, the contract comparison doesn't work for me.  Perhaps Knight
will develop, but I do not see his contract as an improvement over
Barros, Minor, or Ellison.  It is larger than Ellison's, and I see both
as questionmarks - knight is more likely to play, but if Ellison plays,
he has a lot more talent than Knight.  The Minor contract is on par with
Knights, and so far, Minor has been slightly more productive as a pro.
As to barros, his real contract (not the 30 million one first announced)
is also on par with Knights.  The big difference is the pay schedule
(Barros gets more money up front, and will actually become more cost
effective as time goes by).  Barros has at least played at All-Star
level and has been much more effective than Knight over his career.
Time may prove otherwise, but that is just opinion at this point (but
again, that's the point of discussion.

In closing, this is a personal note: As I said before, all I have been
disagreeing with is some of your opinions.  If you participate in a
discussion group, this is what you should expect.  I have been posting
here for several years, and I have never participated in personal
attacks, and I don't like the implications that this has been other than
a discussion.  Saying such things as lets take this off line, because I
think this has gotten personal, and then filling out several paragraphs
of arguments on the issue is turning this personal.  Calling offering a
differing opinion a pissing match, is getting personal.  Playful jabs
and a cocky attitude are more than acceptable (though sometimes
confusing) in a discussion, but playing the injured part when differing
opinions are presented (and yes, we both have been presenting more
opinion than fact, though again, you seem to be implying I am supplying
opinion to your fact) and using it a a shield to put forth more opinion
is rather counterproductive to discussion.  I apologize if I miss-spoke
in a way that lead you to believe I was attacking you, but please be
more aware that people debate ideas here, and people will challenge your
statements.

Adam

PS.  Sorry to all who may be bored by the above.  I'm indulging myself
in a public reply that does deal with personal issues, but I think even
the discusion of discussion is useful on this group at times.