My Camp Ramblings

Hey All,

I was one of the lucky ones to get into see the Celts Camp last
night. Since many people on this list have asked for info, and
the Globe seems to be ignoring it, I thought I'd send along the
roster and my ramblings. I apologize up front for both the length
and the Non-Bill Cooper-Like Notes.

Hope this helps,
Tone

Celtics - Rookie/Free Agent Camp Rosters:

White Team (Coached by Jim O'Brien):
- -----------------------------------
 0  Eric Murdock	PG	6-1  200	Prov (91)
 7  Dee Brown		 G	6-2  205	Jacksonville (90)
11  Dana Barros		 G	5-11 163	BC (89)
12  Ron Mercer		G/F	6-7  210	Kentucky (97)
45  Lorenzo Coleman	 C	7-1  295	Tenn Tech (97)
47  Anthony Tucker	 F	6-8  220	Wake Forest (92)
55  Eric Williams	 F 	6-8  220	Prov (95)
80  Brent Scott		C/F	6-10 250	Rice (93)

Green Team (Coached by Winston Bennett):
- ---------------------------------------
 9 Greg Minor		G	6-6  230	Louisville (94)
20 Darnell Mee		G	6-5  185	W. Kentucky (93)
36 Herman Alston	G	6-4  205	Keane Coll. (91)
37 Ryan Lothridge	G	6-4  190	Jackson St. (94)
38 Rumeal Robinson	G	6-2  195	Michigan (90)
48 Keith Closs		C	7-3  212	C. Conn St. (96)
49 Otis Hill		F 	6-8  255	Syracuse (97)
53 Travis Williams	F	6-7  250	S. Carolina St. (92)
54 Danya Abrams		F	6-7  265	BC (97)

DNP's:
- -----
   Garth Joseph		C	7-2  319	Coll of St Rose (97)
 4 Chauncey Billups	G	6-3  202	Colorado (97)

General Impressions:
- -------------------
You can certainly tell what type of impact Coach Rick is having at the
Box office. The place was packed. I did get a seat but I got there at
6:30, a half-hour before the box office opened. The night consisted
of a single game of four 10 minute quarters between two teams. I don't
know who made up the teams, but I thought the talent and mix was definitely
slanted in favor of the white. I don't know why Eric Murdock (the only true
PG) and both our DB-pseudo pg's all ended up on the white while the green
squad was forced to deal with Rumeal at the point. As expected, the white
team prevailed by about 15 but the green did put on a spirited run after
trailing by double digits to actually take a lead at the half.

The green team's run, was fueled by a few Blocks by Closs and the shooting
of the immortal Herman Alston, who was dare I say, "En Fuego". The white
team was lead early by Brent Scott, who ran the floor well, for a big man
and got a lot of easy hoops. Later on, the outside shooting of Ron Mercer
and the DB(Dee and Dana)'s carried the white, with all-around hustle from EW.

Coaching:
- --------
I thought Winston Bennett did a great job coaching with what he had. He was
clearly in the game and a joy to watch, but Jim O'brien made the adjustment
of the game, when he put Dee on Herman Alston to cool him down a bit.

Guards:
- ------
Not too much exciting to note here, as it was clear, the C's aren't looking for
guards right now. I think Eric Murdock would make a great insurance policy for
Chauncey, and he still plays great D. Dee and Dana both looked good, especially
Dee on both ends of the floor. Ron Mercer can clearly shoot the rock, and he
even had to create his own shot a couple of times. He hit buzzer beaters to
end both the 2nd and 3rd periods. On the Green squad, Herman Alston, shot lights
out and really carried the Green offensively. None of the other guards really
distinguished themselves. Rumeal looked to be in good shape, but played aweful
as a point. I even think some of his teammates games suffered because he was
the only PG on the team.

Forwards:
- --------
Eric Williams looked in good shape and was his usual monster self going to the hoop.
I think he even took and made his one outside shot. Defensively, I think he still
needs some work. He still seems too slow for the quick forwards like Travis Williams
and Otis Hill seemed especially effective on him in the post. I had heard that
Travis Williams was one of the stars of Monday's seesion, but he really didn't show
much last night, except one spectacular Dunk and two great moves to the hoop. On the
Power Forward front, I thought Otis looked better than his cousin Danya, mainly because
he seems more versitile on D. Otis is a little taller and better built and was even
playing a little center last night and seemed to hold his own. Watching Danya play
the front man on full-court pressure D was painful. He did get to the line a lot
last night. Anthony Tucker showed hustle, some rebounds and not much else.

Centers:
- -------
I had heard that Lorenzo Coleman looked good on Monday, but he didn't show much last
night. He looked slow and awkward on the offensive end. Keith Closs is tall (7-3) but
not much else. He did block a few shots, but he makes Shawn Bradley look like Shaq.
I thought the best of the big men last night was Brent Scott. He ran the floor well
and scored a lot early as the trailor on the brake. He's got good size and seemed to
fair well guarding either Closs(C) or Otis Hill(F).

All Non-Roster Team:
PG - Eric "The Man of Steal" Murdock
SG - Herman "Lights Out" Alston
SF - Travis "Human Highlight" Williams/Danya Abrams (Neither one really shined though)
PF - Otis "My Man" Hill
C  - Brent "Not Quite 7 Foot" Scott