Re: Knight Move

Sorry I haven't had the time, Adam, to deal with your cogent critique of my
position.  I offer a mere pearl below but I suggest if you really want to get
into a pissing match we take it to private channels rather than clutter all
these fine people's electrons and neurons with what is beginning to seem to
me to be a personal issue.

Despite the fact that I was living in the Detroit area while the Pistons were
climbing the hill and finally winning their two championships, I remained a
Celtic fan.  Nowhere did I characterize Edwards as on par with that long list
of fine pivot men.  Nor did I ever mention Wilt.  I was merely responding to
what I considered a specious argument on your part that NBA championships are
won w/o centers.  I had the opportunity to admire the team Jack McCloskey
built and Chuck Daly coached as they beat Chicago out of two championships
they could very well have claimed as their own.  At the time, I maintained
that the Pistons would not win until they acquired a center and moved
Laimbeer to the perimeter.  They did so.  They won.  'Nuff said.

I was comparing Parish's numbers after his rookie season, not his entire GS
career, to Knight's numbers after his rookie season.  I maintain that the two
cases are similar but rather than go back and forth on this one, I suggest we
check back on this issue in seven years.

I was comparing McHale's role, not his game, with Knight's potential role on
this team.  Again, let's let time be the judge.

BTW, I hear Big Country just signed for $66 over 6 yrs. w/Van.  I think
Knight's money will be considered a bargain two years down the road.  This
contract is nothing like the boondoggles we have with Barros, Minor and
Ellison.  I'm not trying to add more fuel to the fire, just going on record
with an opinion.  I'll be happy to revisit the issue once things have moved
from the realm of opinion to that of fact.

Daniel