[none]

Now that I have had time to observe Rick and Chris' attempts to make the
celtics into a winning franchise, I can say I am nothing if not impressed.
His first move, trying to send Radja packing, was decisive and improved the
team in the long run.
        Although his second trade attempt, acquiring Pippen at the expense
of our draft picks has come under scrutiny and criticism, it is also sound.
Pippen is a superb defender, finisher in transition and set shooter. All of
these qualities are ideal in Pitino's system. Pippen's weakness finding his
offense in the halfcourt set would be buried under Pitino's transition
style. And even if Pippen was a total bust his money and that of the draft
picks we would have traded would be waiting for a free agent in '98. In
essence, the move would have given us much more flexibility than we have now
and a probable superstar.
        The trade for Knight was another coup. I see Knight as a slightly
weaker
Ervin Johnson with an outside shot, work ethic(always vital) and titanic
upside. Knight's body is skinny but undeveloped. With proper weight training
he should easily reach 260 in a few years. But really post defense is really
not a prerequisite with Pitino's strategy. Like Seattle a year ago, Pitino's
swarming defense should neutralize good post men without a Monstross banger
in the middle. With Walker and another to help on the boards, Travis should
flourish and improve.
        Positives aside, I'm not sure why he signed Knight so early.
According to the Sporting News web site the salary cap becomes 26.7 million
in august. If so why did Rick renounce Marty and Rick and sign Travis so
early? If he had waited he could have pushing dino towards europe and used
the exemption  and extra salary cap to sign all three free agents and
possibly another. Now unless Rick and Marty want to be even more selfless
and wait till january to sign, they'll go to another team.
        Still on the subject of centers, I think Brad Millard has a good
shot at being the number one pick next year. This year was only a glimmer of
his true abilities. In the course of one summer he made himself into college
starter after being the 12th man the year before. If he continues to work he
may achieve a level of physical dominance rivaling Shaq. Why? He's fat.
Active obese people become extremely strong from carrying that weight
around(i.e. Charles Barkley). Right now he is slow and has little
cardiovascular endurance. But like Ostertag if he works over the summer he
may lose the Baby fat and acquire the endurance to play a full game. The NBA
may have another dominant center. But this is not necessarily the case
massive bodies like Stanley Roberts' and George Muresan's are extremely
susceptible to injury and his may be too).

Noah