[none]

More "C's" news.

Roger B.

Radja move again gets held up

Deal with Greek team stalls

By Michael Holley and Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Staff, 07/09/97

One issue the Celtics don't have to worry about is convincing Dino Radja
to go to Greece; the 6-foot-11-inch forward is already there. Now the
major task is working out a deal that will ensure that Radja stays in
Athens.

On Monday night, Radja boarded a plane departing Croatia, destined for
Athens. It appeared that a deal allowing him to play for Panathinaikos
AC had been struck. But by the time Radja's plane landed yesterday, the
agreement had fizzled. Radja still is expected to sign with
Panathinaikos, possibly today. But another snag would mean that, for the
second time in less than a month, the Celtics only temporarily freed
themselves of Radja's $5.3 million salary.

This case, sources say, is much different than the failed
Radja-to-Philadelphia trade last month. Then the 76ers gave Radja a
physical and flunked him, saying his left knee and back were not sound.
This time, sources insist, it was Celtics chairman of the board Paul
Gaston who pulled away from the deal after initially agreeing to pay a
portion of the $16.2 million Radja is owed over the next three seasons.

When contacted yesterday, Gaston said he had no comment on his role in
the Radja negotiations. Celtics president and coach Rick Pitino said
last night that Gaston did not squash the deal with the Greek team.

``He didn't put the kibosh on it,'' Pitino said. ``When you're paying
something like this, you have to make sure every `i' is dotted the right
way, the salary cap is in order. If it is done, it will be win-win for
both sides.''

Supposedly, Radja is excited about the possibility of playing in Greece.
He is not thrilled about playing for Pitino and knows it would be
awkward if he were to return to Boston. Pitino and general manager Chris
Wallace would like the deal to be completed, too. If it is not, they
will have a difficult time signing the free agent big men they covet.
Their salary cap inflexibility already has led to them losing their own
free agent, Rick Fox.

``I think what happened with this was we did not want to renounce Rick
Fox,'' Pitino said. ``We wanted this all done for the draft. It dragged
out for a lot of reasons.''

Pitino was asked if Radja is close to signing with Panathinaikos.

``I think it's close,'' he said. ``We've been working around the clock
on this for quite some time. I wish it could have happened two weeks
ago.'' He also said, ``I wouldn't say [Radja] is delivered [to Greece].
We're working on it strongly. The timing of it is essential for us right
now.''

Apparently, it almost happened Monday. The Celtics would have waived
Radja, waited for him to clear (which he would have because of his large
salary), then used the vacated space to either sign players or trade for
them. One team that could be involved in a deal is the Suns. They are
shopping guard-forward Wesley Person (whom the Celtics like) and forward
Cedric Ceballos. Pitino and Wallace said they are looking for a 6-5, 6-6
swingman, a player similar to Fox.

Pitino and Wallace realize that most moves for higher-priced players are
off until, most likely, a deal involving Radja is finalized. Still,
Pitino said, this is not an issue of Gaston simply dishing out a lump of
cash to Radja.

``I think Paul is going to let us do things that make the basketball
team stronger, but [they have to] make economic sense,'' Pitino said.
``I don't think Paul is in a position that the Orlando Magic are in or
the New York Knicks are in. He's not a big, big corporation where he can
just write checks for the sake of doing it.

``You've got to be fiscally responsible, and I agree with that. The one
thing we had to do here was make sure everything was in line the right
way, and it takes time to do it.''

Will McDonough of the Globe staff contributed to this report.

This story ran on page F01 of the Boston Globe on 07/09/97.
© Copyright 1997 Globe Newspaper Company.