Re: Knight Move

Sorry to sound so negative here, but I have a lot of disagreements...

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997 Ecophiloso@aol.com wrote:

> For those who believe Knight's stats don't command the kind of $ he's about
> to get, I offer some highly opinionated food for thought:
>
> -The Chief's #'s @ GS were not indicative of how he would produce as a key
> player, 3-time champ & all-star in Boston.

Have you seen parishes numbers at GS.  They were very good, in some ways
better than his numbers with the Celtics.  It was his attitude that was in
question, not his talent.

> -Aside from the Bulls, who are an anomaly (because MJ is an anomaly), no one
> has won a championship w/o a real center since the 70's.  Bird needed The
> Chief, Dr. J needed Moses, Isaiah needed Edwards, LA had Jabbar and Houston
> has The Dream.  We'll probably need someone other than Knight to play the
> pivot in order to win #17 but Baker and McDyess are far less realistic
> options than he.  Knight is w/o a doubt a legit off the bench 4/5 (a la
> McHale in the best of all possible futures...)

Again, before the bulls, the Pistons won back to back championships with
Lambier and company manning the post.  out of the last 9 championships,
only two have been won with a dominant center.

Baker may be less realistic than Knight for salary cap reasons, but Baker
played center for much of his rookie season, and was very impressive.  His
body is much sturdier than Knight, and he is much stronger.  he also is a
much better low post player.  In Boston, I've heard numerous sports
writers all voice the same worry - Knight is  too frail to last more than
15-20 minutes a game at Center for a whole season.  The McHale comaparison
is also a huge stretch.  Again, McHale was an impact player right from the
start, especially on the defensive end.  Knight has shown nowhere close to
the ability to have an impact as a 6th man of the year.

> -There are only a few legit centers in the entire league (Olajuwon, Robinson,
> O'Neal & Ewing; Mourning, Mutombo, Seikaly, Smits & Divac on the next tier)
> and three of the best are in the other conference.  None of them are
> available.  We need someone to battle the above mentioned eastern conference
> centers along with Muresan, Johnson, Montross.  There's just no one else out
> there who comes close.

Although there are few dominant centers, most  teams have conceeded the
need for strength and durability in the low post over height.  Knight is
questionable in both of these.

> -Congrats to Wesley and best wishes to him, Cowens & co.  But I'd rather the
> C's pay $22m over 7 yrs. to a pseudo-center vs. a capable PG anyday.
>
> -Knight is not going to be the #1, #2 or even #3 option.  He'll crash the
> boards, get some cheap put-backs, run a decent pick & roll, set solid screens
> and play with enthusiasm.  Hopefully, he'll play smart defense (make people
> fight for position, use his lower body, box out) and other centers will have
> to work for their 20p/10r.
> I don't mind when Ewing gets his numbers, I just hate having him light us up
> effortlessly.

But will he block out.  I've watched a fair number of Laker games, and I
saw Knight as an outside in rebounder.  He crashes the board from several
steps away, which worked great when the other team was fighting with ONeal
and  Cambel for position.  I never saw him use his body much to keep
others off the boards, and that is are single biggest need in the paint.

> -Knight fits the style of play Pitino dictates.  Can anyone see Stanley
> Roberts doing the same?  Oliver Miller?  Big Country?
>
> Go Green,
> Daniel

Why are you comparing Knight to two overweight centers?  As to Big
Country, the second half of the season he was very good.  I don't think
Knight will ever have that kind of impact, and I think Pitino would hapily
take Big Country.

The better question is ...can you see players like Dean Garret playing in
Pitino's system.  Garret is a free agent and had a much better season than
Knight.  He started at Center for the TWolves and they made the playoffs.
He has a real centers body and very good mobilit.  He almost doubled
Knights rebound, block, abd points numbers.   And he had more steals, shot
better from the field, and played decent defense against top flight
centers.  He would be a steal.

Adam