College -> Pro Performance

   Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:38:23 -0500 (EST)
   From: "Jeremy P. Ryan" <jeryan@mailbox.syr.edu>

      Derek Anderson is a 5th year senior who will run out of eligibility at
   the end of the season. Since he redshirted a year, and played a lot this
   season, he will not be given a medical exemption. His college career is
   over. Since he is a senior, he does not have to 'declare' for the NBA
   draft, he is pretty much already entered. Where (or if) he gets picked is
   totally up in the air at this time. It depends on his recovery, which for
   knee injuries like his can be anywhere up to a year. Most think he will be
   ready by the summer leagues.

Derek Anderson has consistently had better statistics this year than Ron
Mercer, but Mercer is a top 3 pick, whereas Anderson is a lower first round
pick.  I guess I've always found it strange how college performance
translates into pro performance.  For example, the Kentucky point guard who
dominated the NCAA finals last year is nowhere to be seen this year in the
pros.  On the other hand, I remember seeing Stoudamire play in college, but
I never imagined that he would turn into the force he is now in the NBA.
Ed O'Bannon was dominant in college, but everyone knew he wasn't suited for
the pro game.

What are the main differences between the college game and the pro game,
and how do you translate performance in one to performance in the other?
To me, I guess it's zone defenses, and size, strength, and speed.  If
you're a guard, size is more important in the pros, and if you're a forward
or center, strength is more important because everyone is much bigger in
the pros so size isn't a big advantage.  Speed/quickness is more important
in the pros because of man-to-man defenses.

Are there other examples of players who were so-so in college, but really
bloomed in the pros to become superstars?  If so, what is the key?

- -Andy