Re: 5 straight

>Dear Mr. McArthur,
>
>You have absolutely NO CLASS!!
>
>To make that kind of remark about the death of an athlete shows what
>little regard you have for the life of a human being.  The memory of Len
>Bias means far more than winning championships, unless the beholder is
>some gutless law school student like you, who has a propensity for
>rattling off meaningless statistics.  Stick to the mighty Detroit Tigers
>and the Detroit Lions.  Now those are real winners huh?  And the
>University of Michigan, did the Fab Four ever bring home that NCAA title?
>
>CW

Mr. Wright,

I neither condone nor condemn Mr. McArthur's comments; however I find your
negative reference to the fact that Mr. McArthur is a law student to be
completely unnecessary. I am also a law student in Toledo, OH; and in my
course of studies, I  have learned how to read what another person is saying.
(Please correct me if I am wrong in what I say here, Mr. McArthur). I believe
that if you re-read Mr. McArthur's post you will find that, while he attends
school in Michigan, he is not a Detroit fan, thus your suggestion that he
stick to those teams is erroneous. Mr. McArthur is clearly a Boston sports
fan.

I am also "stuck" in the greater Detroit area and am cursed with bombarding
stories of the Lions, Tigers, Red WIngs, and Pistons; instead of my beloved
Celtics, Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins -- and it sucks!!!

Mr. McArthur's comments do sound insensitive on the surface, but that is no
reason to lash out at his chosen vocation. If I am over-reacting here (and I
probably am) please forgive me -- or flame me -- your choice, it's been a
rough day. Coincidentally, earlier this evening I popped an unlabeled
"Celtics" video tape into the VCR tonight. It happened to be the 1992 NBA
playoffs Boston v. Cleveland. I forget which game (it was prior to Bird's
return). Reggie Lewis scored 36 points and was named player of the game. The
announcers repeatedly referred to him as a new superstar with MANY YEARS and
MUCH POTENTIAL ahead of him. He was also interviewed after the game. This got
me thinking about the *dead* Celtics and "what could have been."

Crying over spilt milk is never going to solve anything, but sometimes it is
a necessary step in the "grieving" process. When it gets excessive, it can
certainly prove to be detrimental; but I believe it is natural to have
tendencies in that direction after another disappointing championship game
loss. This isn't weakness, it is very difficult to accept defeat at that
stage when you or your team has come so far. It is often  necessary to say
your peace, and then you move on...     I guess I've said more than my peace
here... my apologies for rambling.

- --Luke