Re: Michael Smith

- ----------
> From: Kerry Kee <kkee@highground.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: re: Michael Smith
> Date: Monday, January 20, 1997 12:09 PM
>
> At 11:56 AM 1/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >>Jason,  we can look at the Michael Smith selection now and ridicule it,
but
> >>at the time it looked pretty good.  Michael Smith is still one of the
most
> >>perplexing flops in my opinion.  Here was a guy 6'11' who had good ball
> >>handling and passing skills, could hit the 15-20 foot jumper, could
have
> >>been the next Mchale, but never did anything in the NBA.  I don't know
if
> >>he didn't have the heart to play, didn't have the attitude to play a
> >>physical game , or what...
> >

> One physical flaw was his short arms, inhibiting him from getting
> his shot off and rebounding the way you'd expect from someone 6'11''.
> His wing span was shorter than his teammate,
> Charles Smith (6' pt guard from Georgetown).  This was an attribute the
Celts
> didn't realize until after he was already in camp.
>
> One reason McHale was so effective was his enormous wing span.

Yes, this did help McHale greatly, but this is something the scouts should
have seen. Thats what their job is.  They run these kids through every type
of test,  wingspan, vertical jump, etc.  Maybe they didn't at the time.
Charles Smith's wingspan didn't help him much, didn't he kill a few people
drunk driving or something ?