Starke Farrell wrote:

> > Jason,  we can look at the Michael Smith selection now and ridicule it, but
> > at the time it looked pretty good.  Michael Smith is still one of the most
> > perplexing flops in my opinion.  Here was a guy 6'11' who had good ball
> > handling and passing skills, could hit the 15-20 foot jumper, could have
> > been the next Mchale, but never did anything in the NBA.  I don't know if
> > he didn't have the heart to play, didn't have the attitude to play a
> > physical game , or what, but if you look at the 6'11" players today, how
> > many can dribble or pass a basketball, or step out and hit a 20 foot jumper
> > consistently ?  They are far and few between, and the ones than can are now
> > pulling down serious $$$$.   Yes it would have been nice to select a Shawn
> > Kemp instead, but Kemp was a young inexperienced risk, and the Celtics
> > were,  & still are, known for their conservatism, not their risk taking.

Actually, Smith was 6'10" and skinny and NEVER was known for playing any "D" at all.  Kemp
would not have been much of a risk then -- they could have treated him as an "apprentice" to
Bird and McHale for a couple of years; it was a perfect situation.  Alternatively, they could
have taken Tim Hardaway.  I haven't seen enough of Van Horn to say whether he's another
Michael Smith -- I'm not so stupid and bigoted that I'd lump together all 6'10" white small
forwards from Utah schools -- but you can't legitimately defend that pick.

Bill Lee wrote:

> If Duncan is the only sure thing, would the #3 and the Dallas pick get the
> Philly (?) pick?  Would you do it?
> Not as long as I've got Michael Cage playing center.  We can't count on the C's being able to
trade up for that pick.  We must depend on 11 years of bad luck being enough.

Mark Estepp wrote:

> I never thought I would be saying this, but I believe that Todd Day should
> be kept by the C's and inserted as the starting 2 guard.  He has had a
> streak of several good games, some of them outstanding.  I am also in favor
> of this because I just don't see Minor working out as a solid starter.
>
> I think Day's play has improved because he is showcasing himself for
> whatever team he is on next year.  The C's can capitalize on this if they
> give him some security.
> And if they give him some security, do you think he'll keep showcasing himself?  The man is
the second coming of Sidney Wicks.  LET HIM AND HIS $2.9M/PER CONTRACT GO.

On a different topic, what does everyone think are the odds that Fox will opt out of his
contract after this season?  Is there anyone else out there willing to give him more dough?
Although Toronto and Vancouver might be interested in him as a native Canadian attraction, I
wonder whether he isn't one of those "tweeners" that's been hurt so much by the new CBA.
Maybe he'll take a lesson from Walt Williams' and Oliver Miller's mistakes and stay home.

Michael Gooen